question

Michael Stirrat avatar image
Michael Stirrat asked

Multiplus cycling on and off when inverting

Riddle me this.

We have a Multiplus 12 3000 120-50 12V and 675Ah of 12V AGM batteries on our sailboat.

The Multiplus cycles on and off. It stays on for 15 seconds and turns off for 8 seconds. I timed it for 5 minutes this morning looking for a pattern. I then plugged it into my laptop with the MK3-USB cable and connected it to Victron Connect to look there for anything. And the Multiplus stopped cycling. I quit Victron Connect and it stopped cycling. Run Victron Connect and it stops cycling. Next, following the VE.Bus thread, I disconnected the 2 VE.Bus cables (MK3-USB and BMV-712) and now the unit won't come on at all. I plugged in the BMV-712 cable and it came on and started cycling on and off again on the same pattern.

We have had similar difficulties with this unit since I installed it in November 2021.

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior before?

What is or might be causing it?

Most important, can it be fixed?

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Michael Stirrat

If you have AES enabled in the Multi's Inverter settings, then turn it off.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fhocorp avatar image
fhocorp answered ·

Hi. It seems that your BMV-712 is controlling the inverter startup. Check the BMV-712 configuration at is seems that is quite buggy. The float and deep-discharge voltages could be the problem. Also try to cycle the device with no load at the 230V output to check if it is not an simple overload of the inverter.

2 comments
2 |3000

Michael Stirrat avatar image Michael Stirrat commented ·
All this happens with no AC loads. And the Multi will not come on at all with the CCGX disconnected.
0 Likes 0 ·
What CCGX settings would you look for and change?
0 Likes 0 ·
mackie avatar image
mackie answered ·

@michael-stirrat Did you ever get this resolved? Was is it the AES?

I am having a similar issue.

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Might be better in a new thread. But.

Check AES settings with VE config software. You need the mk3-usb adapter. Note that the BMV does not control anything. It just reports.

1 Like 1 ·
It turns out my Multiplus was defective and Victron US warrantied it for me. Pretty great service too because I was in a a place I couldn't send it back from.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic