question

arcticgrywolf avatar image
arcticgrywolf asked

Smartshunt and inverter/converter help needed

Hello and hoping that someone has this figured out.

I have installed the Smartshunt in the 2/0 negative wire that goes from battery to the inverter/converter (xantrex freedom x 2000w) I attached positive power wire to the positive side of the xantrex.

I get the power reading from battery but everything else is zero until I turn on xantrex. Then I only get power draw when I use the xantrex and 120v.

I can’t get any 12v readings and this is only negative line from battery other than the one for jack and break-away.

Thanks for any suggestions.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Arcticgrywolf

I get the power reading from battery but everything else is zero until I turn on xantrex. Then I only get power draw when I use the xantrex and 120v.

That's because you only wired the SmartShunt to the Xantrex and not to all of your other negative loads.

There is only one connection to the battery negative and that is the SmartShunts battery side, nothing else. All other negative cables from your loads and Xantrex go to the load side of the SmartShunt.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

arcticgrywolf avatar image arcticgrywolf commented ·

Still confused as I only have one 2/0 wire coming from negative side. This goes direct to xantrex. No other option.

So that is why shunt is in this line as it is the only one. Otherwise I would have to go and splice a bunch of wires after the xantrex

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ arcticgrywolf commented ·
Please try making a photo of your installation where one can see your wiring from the battery to the shunt and to the xantred. Or a diagram could help too.
0 Likes 0 ·