question

Jasbir Rathor avatar image
Jasbir Rathor asked

Off Grid solar System in planning

Hello Everyone, I'm working on off grid solar system on my farm. I have 32 LG BiFacial 410 W solar panels, Voc is 49.4 and Isc is 10.46. This will be based on 48 Volt 4 12 Volt Lithium Batteries 300 Ah connected in series. I was suggested that there will be two sourced of 16 solar panels each source will be connected in series and parallel to victron mppt solar charge controller 250 /100.The capacity of this solar charge controller for watts are around 5800 but each source on my planing solar system watts are 6560 going to each solar charge controller victron 250/100. Is it a safe design? Should I go with victron RS 450/100 solar charge controller? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Jessie

offgrid
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

@Jasbir Rathor (Jessie) The Victron calculator https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator is the best way to ensure temperature etc. is also taken into account. (I like the Excel to store the panel data if required later) VOC should never be exceeded. If you have oversized, the controller will limit output A if that is greater than the controller is rated for.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jasbir Rathor avatar image Jasbir Rathor ejrossouw commented ·
Thank you very much. I will try the Victron calculator. Thanks again.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
klandos avatar image
klandos answered ·

As long as you dont hit the 250v cap you are fine. Overprovisioning is no Problem as long as the 70A in parallel are not reached.
Both is not the case in a 4x4 setup

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jasbir Rathor avatar image Jasbir Rathor commented ·
Thank you very much.
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

I personally would go with the 2x 450/100 or a 450/200. They have active cooling and can handle running at the limit a lot better. The 450/200 would be best for this application because it has 4 trackers you can do 4 groups of 8 panels. 400VDC config is also less wiring at lower currents. The isolation that the 450/100 or 450/200 offers is also better in case of a failure.

2 comments
2 |3000

Jasbir Rathor avatar image Jasbir Rathor commented ·
Thank you for advice.
0 Likes 0 ·
Jasbir Rathor avatar image Jasbir Rathor Jasbir Rathor commented ·
Hello Shaneyake, As you suggested in last March that I should go off grid solar system with RS 450 / 200. This is what I have done got 2 Victron RS 450 / 200, 2 Quattro 48 / 10000 /140 Amps inverter / charger and 8 300 amps lithium batteries. Also got everything in between from one end to the other end. I have just finished the ground mounted posts and shack for the electronic. I will post some pictures soon. Thank you very much for the advice.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources