question

Jan Neumann avatar image
Jan Neumann asked

System overview on Android tablet possible?

I use different Victron devices in my RV: Orion TR smart (that shamefully still isn't integratable into a VE.smart network) , MPPT smart solar charger, Smart shunt and a blue smart charger (also no VE.smart network) as backup to charge my LiFePeYPo4 from grid. They all have Bluetooth and send out their data and status wireless.

Wouldn't it be possible to monitor all the devices as a system simultaneously in one Android-app on a tablet or big-screen smartphone without any Cerbo- or GX-box?

I understand, that Victron wanna sell these boxes and displays and connectors, but ist there a real technical reason that stands against my idea?

Best regards
Jan

VE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I think Bluetooth its self is the limitation here.
It's not known for it's speed and also only a certain number of devices can connect at any one moment in time. Some types of devices can only have one connection at a time.
The user experience would most likely be pretty bad and probably too annoying to be practical
The VictronConnect app is really designed for device configuration from a smart device and also has some offers casual monitoring.
The VE.Smart between the devices is transparent to the user and really low data rate.

If you are into more in depth monitoring then this is where the GX devices that you mentioned come is to play. Remember, there is the option to run VenusOS on a RaspberryPi if you are on a budget or if you have a small system that wouldn't justify the cost of a full blown CerboGX.
The VenusOS option for the RaspberryPi is free to download and use and it is maintained, so I don't think the notion of wanting to sell the boxes is quite so accurate.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jan Neumann avatar image
Jan Neumann answered ·

Up to 8 devices simultaneously are possible on modern android systems, and the data rate should be sufficient for the necessary data streams...

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual