question

Bill avatar image
Bill asked

RPI Venus OS connecting BT to CC or BMV, Can it be done?

I am hoping there is a way to connect my Raspberry PI to the smart controllers via BT instead of via the usb cables. I would like to be able to put my BT Dongle back into one of the controllers so I can see it from the front of the RV again, but as there is only one cable port on the CC it currently has the USB connector/VEdirect cable attached for the RPI/Venus.

Has anyone got that working? From a PI or Venus GX? I am assuming there isn't a Y connector that would allow both to be connected to a controller. :(

Thanks, Bill

BMV Battery MonitorRaspberry Pismart solar set-up help
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bill avatar image Bill commented ·

Bump... :)

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
ray-mont avatar image
ray-mont answered ·

@bigbillsd

I created a y cable but it will not work properly(not all data is shown or with a big delay)

The victron connect app will show my rpi 3+ over Bluetooth then select the remote console or the VRM portal to show the date in your web browser

Ray

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sbcdave avatar image sbcdave commented ·

Are you saying you are able to get victron data via RPi with Bluetooth connection?

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

I don't think this is possible. A solution (which isn't great) would be to upgrade the BMV to the 712 and the MPPT to the smart version. Both have built in bluetooth so you can use the VE.Direct for the CCGX and still have bluetooth since it's built in.

Another option would be to monitor through the VRM portal if your CCGX is online. Not as nice for a mobile view as Victron Connect, but it's an option. Since you only want to view it while you are in the RV, you could tether your phone if it will reach. If you are in the US where the GSM GX doesn't work, consider picking up a cheap LTE modem, a cheap LTE servcie (I'm using Freedom pop that gives me 1gb of data a month for 12 months for $39.99 per YEAR!). That's a dedicated internet just for the CCGX. This lte modem is also a router with a second LAN port for a laptop and even has Wifi. It's also got DC input from 5-36V. It's a cheap unit ($100 I think) and does a lot.

img-1083.jpg (121.5 KiB)
img-1084.jpg (99.6 KiB)
img-1082.jpg (79.1 KiB)
img-1104.png (48.5 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Bill avatar image Bill commented ·

@nebulight Interesting. Sorry this took a while we just got back from a 5 month trip to Alaska. What hardware is that cheap lte modem. It looks interesting. I might be able to put my second Mobley sim in there or get that freedom pop.

Currently I am using VRM portal when away from the RV. And connecting to the ugly gui via the webport on the VGX. I will be adding another Smartsolar 100/50 and 712 BMV to the mix this winter.

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image nebulight Bill commented ·

The mode I have is a USR-G806-A (American version) the American version has us lte bands

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page