question

petej avatar image
petej asked

VRM Portal Shows My Neighbor's Battery Name As Mine

I noticed a strange phenomenon on the VRM portal. I have a RPi (on a houseboat) running Venus OS connected to a Victron Battery Monitor. It's been working great but I noticed that the name for my battery/system has somehow assumed the name of my neighbor's boat (Ruff Day). His boat does have a CGX color display as well as Victron inverter and solar chargers but as far as I know, none of his gear is connected to the VRM portal. Other than the strange name change on my system, the battery data being report does appear to be accurate for my system.

1647712210324.png

Raspberry Pi
1647712210324.png (36.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@PeteJ

It is possible that he renamed it. If your passcodes are the same may have logged onto the wrong one with Bluetooth and Victron Connect.

What battery monitor do you have?

You can always change it back again.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@PeteJ you might also have connected to his BMV by mistake. Would be a bit embarrassing if you reset his PIN.

0 Likes 0 ·
petej avatar image
petej answered ·

Hi Alexandra, I My battery monitor is a BMV-712. Very strange that the name would change like that. I think he also has a BMV-712 on his boat and since both of us are using the same default passcodes (I know I am), perhaps that is why my BMV-712 has assumed his system name? Next time I'm on the boat I need to change my passcode I guess.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@PeteJ

Yes change the pincode. (Make sure it is yours) I have by accident changed a BMV that wasnt mine, same way ;). He may have changed yours by mistake.

0 Likes 0 ·
petej avatar image
petej answered ·

Yes, good point. I just changed the name of my BMV-712 back to my name using the remote console on the VRM portal. I'm assuming there is no way to set/change the passcode through the VRM portal correct? I think your assessment of what happened is exactly correct...he logged into my system by accident and changed the name. I wonder what else he changed? I should probably go check that as well.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@PeteJ

Yes it it the safest way.

And the Bluetooth passcode can only be changed with a direct connection

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Might be worth chatting to him about it.
0 Likes 0 ·