question

bradmason509 avatar image
bradmason509 asked

Best cellular option for Cerbo GX

I need to connect my Cerbo GX to some type of cellular device so I can have access to my van when I am not close to it. I have an old iPhone, but I am curious if it will work if I attach it to the Cerbo via USB? Or does it have to be through the ethernet port? What does everyone use?

cerbo gx
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image harold commented ·
I use a Teltonika router (RUT950), the CCGX is connected via Wifi.

It can connect to a Wifi point and/or use a SIM (LTE/4G)

0 Likes 0 ·
bradmason509 avatar image bradmason509 harold commented ·
I was hoping to hotlist form a mobile phone to the cerbo. I guess that might not be an option. I will check out your setup.
0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@brad.mason509

On my boat I use a Teltonika RUT950. The Cerbo GX connects to the router via Ethernet. This is the most reliable connection type and is what Victron recommends, but of course WiFi also works.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

You could set the iPhone up with a personal hotspot and have the Cerbo via Wifi join the personal hotspot. I have done this a few times when the main boat network is down.

1 comment
2 |3000

bradmason509 avatar image bradmason509 commented ·
I have tried that but my iPhone never shows up on it as available to connect to the hotspot.

I wonder does it have to be a separate iPhone than the one I am monitoring with.

0 Likes 0 ·
gone-sailing avatar image
gone-sailing answered ·

I also use a Teltonika router, a RUTX11, connected to my CCGX via ethernet. I tried many other solutions but this has been by far the best.

The next best option was a Mifi hotspot but slower speeds and battery life made me look for something better which is how I ended up with the Teltonika.

1 comment
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·
I use the same, powered over ethernet with one of these.Mounted outside I have has some great performance, such as access to mobile data 30 miles off shore.
0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

I also use the Teltonika RUT950 and am very happy as it also provides the wifi for our boat. Much better reception than a mobile phone. If I didn’t need the additional wifi I would also consider the USB Victron GX 4G LTE which includes a GPS. (The RUT950 also includes a GPS but getting that data into the Cerbo is a different conversation).

1 comment
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·
It is fairly easy, and there is a post somewhere on this forum on how to do it.
0 Likes 0 ·
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk M1 router for mine. Cerbo is connected to it via wired Ethernet, and all my devices (including my AIS transponder, a vesper XB-8000) connect via wifi. Works quite well.

2 |3000