question

sebcbien avatar image
sebcbien asked

How to restore an old cerbo gx config

Hello,

I like to always have belts and suspenders.

My Cerbo GX config is quite complex and I would like to make a backup of it (other than the backup of the old firmware).

This can be useful in the event of theft, total defect of the cerbo GX, return to an old configuration, etc.

I downloaded with SSH the file /data/conf/settings.xml. with the help of this post: https://community.victronenergy.com/answers/58598/view.html

Question: on a new Cerbo GX, if I restore this file, will I recover my setup ?

Thank you !

Seb

cerbo gxVenus OSssh
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Settings are retained with a Venus OS firmware updates, even switching between large and "normal".

Restoring to a previous version of firmware even from the backup firmware menu will NOT restore settings to their previous state.

You can certainly make a copy of the setting.xml file before switching to the large version. Then if switching back to the non-large version, if your settings are for some reason corrupted, you can copy the settings.xml file back to the SAME software version on the SAME platform. But to do this you need to shutdown the settings service first:

svc -d /service/localsettings

Then copy the settings.xml file over, then reboot.

I would only resort to this if you find the settings corrupted.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sebcbien avatar image sebcbien commented ·

Thank you so much !

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

It's not recommended you attempt to move the settings.xml file between systems. Most, but not all settings will be compatible on the new GX device. Those that are not may cause issues. Victron is working on a backup/restore mechanism but ran into issues while these issues are worked out.

My SetupHelper package provides a settings backup/restore mechanism that works on selected settings, skipping those that might cause issues. It's a stop-gap mechanism until Victron gets theirs working. SetupHelper is available here:

https://github.com/kwindrem/SetupHelper

2 |3000

sebcbien avatar image
sebcbien answered ·

Thanks @Kevin Windrem !

Ok, I understood the problem.

I had a look at your software, I'm impressed but I think it's way overkill for my basic actual need (test venus os large/nodeRed)

So imagine that I want to test/install/upgrade venus os large and that I loose the latest firmware backup of the standard CerboGX installation.

If I want to go back to the basic installation with my settings, all I have to do is restore the same firmware and replace the settings.xml. Right ?

I need that one relay to be activated with rules not yet available (use T° of a battery communicated via CanBus, or better the max current charge). When later it will be possible I would ditch venusOSLarge/NodeRed and come back to a standard CerboGX setup.

Thanks,

Seb

2 |3000