question

bob2 avatar image
bob2 asked

SmartSolar MPPT disappears from config of EasySolar5000 Mk-II

The SmartSolar MPPT frequently disappears from the config of my EasySolar5000, resulting in no charging from the sun.

TIMELINE:
2021.10 Purchased
2021.12.23 Installed
The problem started within a few days of installation. Now it occurs probably everyday, often more than once. Maybe I am noticing it more because I check more frequently. Rebooting the ES5000 from the Remote Console fixes it for a while.
2022.01.18 firmware upgraded to newest version on all ES5000 components
2022.03 finally got around to writing this.

Occasionally the whole unit crashes and needs to be power-cycled.

SYSTEM SPEC:
Victron EasySolar-II 48/5000/70-50 MPPT 250/100 GX Firmware Version 2.64
Multiplus-II 48/5000/70-50 Firmware version 49
SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/100 Firmware version 3.07
SmartSolar Bootloader v1.07

12x solar panels in 4 strings of 3. 2 types:
3+3 AmeriSolar 280W Policristalino
3+3 290 Wp REC TwinPeak2

4x BYD B-Plus LV battery 2.5KWh v5.0 (bought in 2018 and previously used with Victron EasySolar3000)

Any help appreciated, thanks

remote-console-01.jpgremote-console-01b.jpgremote-console-02.jpgremote-console-02b.jpgremote-console-03-main-firmware-version-264.jpgremote-console-03-multiplus-firmware-version-492.jpgvictron-connect-smartsolar-firmware-version-307.jpgbyd-batteries-20181206-174253.jpg

EasySolar All-in-One
9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
MultiPlus is saying "Blocked", do you have a MK3 dongle connected? If you could disconnect it and see if that solves the problem.
0 Likes 0 ·
bob2 avatar image bob2 wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Yes I do.
I'll try removing MK3 dongle and see what happens for a few days.
Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·

No good. Problem still exists.

After removing the MK3, the SmartSolar stayed in the config for 36hrs, so I had my hopes up, but it disappeared again today.
I had to reboot from the remote console twice to get the SmartSolar to reappear, but then the BMV700 and Multiplus disappeared! see attached pics.
I rebooted for a 3rd time and now it's working properly.remote-console-04-20220316b.jpgremote-console-04-20220316a.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·

SmartSolar disappeared again. Fixed with 1 reboot from RC as usual.
Possibly it's happened less the past few days, possibly coinciding with less sun.

0 Likes 0 ·
It hasn't happened again since my last post 4 days ago. We've had little sun in that period. So we may have a new piece of information: it doesn't occur when there is little sun. We need to wait for the sun to increase to confirm this. I live in Tenerife "the island of eternal spring" where this winter has been quite sunny.
0 Likes 0 ·

Typical! 20 minutes after my last hopeful post, the sun comes out strongly and the SmartSolar disappears from the config. Fixed with 2 reboots.

0 Likes 0 ·

More sun, more occurrences of the problem and more reboots to temporarily fix it.
Also a complete crash today which required a power-cycle to fix.

0 Likes 0 ·
dms avatar image dms bob2 commented ·
Are you still experiencing this issue?

I have just started experiencing the same issue (after being up and running well for 3 months) where the embedded SmartSolar inside the EasySolar II (3000) disappears from VRM Dashboard, Remote Console Device List and Remote Console Pages screen (as in your screenshots) and PV is not being sent to consumer or charging the batteries. The first time was on our hottest day (UK) a couple of days ago but also did it this morning when it was very cool. So far both times have been resolved with a reboot from Settings/General although the second time had to be done locally and not through VRM as it could not connect to Remote Console.

Both times after reboot I received a '#67 - No BMS' message closely followed by a 'No Error' message with everything working again.

It seems to be a network/internal communication issue between the devices but did you get to the bottom of it?
0 Likes 0 ·
torbla avatar image torbla commented ·

Has this issue been resolved? expriencing the same on my Easysolar-|| 48/3000 MPPT 250/70 GX. This is the only devices left in VRM device list

1661336375256.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1661336375256.png (15.2 KiB)
5 Answers
hhhh1997 avatar image
hhhh1997 answered ·

I also am experiencing the exact same issue on a customer's system, whenever there is good sun then the MPPT loses connection with the GX controller inside the EasySolar II 5000 GX, and disappears from the monitoring.

A restart from the remote console fixes it temporarily but the connection drops shortly after and the battery stops charging, with the MPPT disappearing.

Is there a fix for this?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
What is the ambient temperature like in the room?
0 Likes 0 ·
hhhh1997 avatar image hhhh1997 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
About 15 degrees celsius
0 Likes 0 ·
daiko avatar image
daiko answered ·

Same issue here with an Easysolar for almost year now and also on sunny days. Scanning for firmware update through VRM brings the MPPT back.

I have contacted the supplier a couple of months ago but it didn't bring a solution.

Was asked to check if the internal VE Direct cable from the, internal, MPPT 250 to the Multiplus GX board was connected properly which it was.

The MPPT is dropped from the VE bus daily. When scanning for FW updates it comes back most of the time only to disappear again shortly after when sunny. Sometimes the VE bus drops other connections also.

I think it is a hardware issue. Read in another thread a while ago there was something discovered with the ES board and an offered replacement but can't find that thread anymore. Looks like Victron Energy is sticking their head in the sand probably till warranty runs out.

2 |3000

Florian E avatar image
Florian E answered ·

I have similar issues - have two MPPTs, one the internal 250/70 of the EasySolar-II GX 3000, and another 150/45 connected via VE.direct. The 250/70 first disappeared a month ago (presumably after a reboot/power-off), after the system has been running flawlessly for 9 months or more (including a few reboots and reconfigurations).

Now did the reboot from remote console, the 250/70 reappeared (with error message #67 BMS connection lost in the notifications), but the 150/45 was lost and went to float state. After second reboot both devices were back, now the 150/45 has error #67 in the GX device notifications log.

I noticed the two MPPTs did have different Firmware versions - I updated the 250/70 to the latest 1.61, let's see if the problem comes up again.

Also I'm running GX device firmware 2.92, while there is 3.13 out. Not sure if I dare to update this too - I also have two more MP-II 3000 attached for a 3 phase system.

2 |3000

Florian E avatar image
Florian E answered ·

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/21383/how-can-i-reset-mppt-25070-i-have-an-error-message.html suggests to have a PE grounding for the MPPTs chassis - it was missing in my case too, will fix this and see if the problem re-appears.

2 |3000

philippe-rigollet avatar image
philippe-rigollet answered ·

Same issue for me today with below equipment

EasySolar-II C00E

v3.22
MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-48 2623

v510
SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/100 rev2 A115

v3.14

I got worried because VRM was reporting injection on grid which I'm not supposed to do - not sure if figures were messed up because no numbers were sent by MPTT or if I was indeed injecting.

I know there were some issues with the VRM server the last couple of days but when I checked on the LCD display of the EasySolar there was no solar either. Gone!

I had to do a manual reboot

2 |3000