question

Chris Forker avatar image
Chris Forker asked

Smart Battery Protect between Isolator Switch and starter.

Tenerife, leaving shortly to sail back to Ireland. 

A marine electrical engineer came to my yacht and installed 2 of your battery protect devices on my yacht.  1 for 12v and the other for the 24v service batteries. 

I discovered yesterday that I cannot start my Volvo D2 75. I discovered that the 12/24|100 was connected between the engine isolation switch and the starter motor. When I reconnected the cable to the starter motor to the switch as it had been ( disconnected the battery protect) the engine started as normal. 

I have contacted the electrical engineer who installed the device to advise him of this issue.  All he has said is it should work. Clearly it doesnot. The only suggestion he made was to set the battery cut off at 7v under user defined. I did try this but same result engine would not start. Even if it did it would render the use of the device as pointless. 

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

I hope you have a good trip.

It makes no sense to have a Batter Protect between the engine isolator switch and starter. Can you advise if the battery is connected to the in side or the out? Is it a smart battery protect or normal battery protect, aka can you use the Victron Connect app on your phone to talk to it, if so it is Smart.

Has the electrical engineer given you any reason as to why it has been installed or any wiring diagrams?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chris Forker avatar image Chris Forker commented ·

1) It is a Smart Battery Protect, so has bluetooth. (12/24:100amp.)

2) The starter cable which was connected to the isolation switch had been connected to the OUT stud of the Battery Protect. A new cable from the IN stud was connected to the isolation switch.

3)No diagrams, no explanation, only it should work.

4) Avised me to use user defined value of 7v for shutdown when I advised him the engine would not start with the Battery Protect as he configured it.

Many thanks for your response. Apart from it makes no sense what he has done, how would a battery protect be used on an engine start battery and why will the engine not start the way he configured it. Just wanting to understand. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevin-c avatar image kevin-c Chris Forker commented ·
The best approach (and I just went through avery similar adventure) is to bypass the SBP for engine start. I now take my Lynx output straight to the engine switch and then to the starter from there. I am about to utilize a similar approach for my anchor windlass.
0 Likes 0 ·