question

heuchtech avatar image
heuchtech asked

Router before Cerbo's IP

Hi All,

We have a problem with a (non victron) component of our build. To access it, we need to connect directly to our router. For THAT, we need it's public IP, which we didn't make a note of.

Is there any way to see what the (Public IP) address of the router that a Cerbo is connected to?

Cerbo is connected directly to router via ethernet.

Convoluted, but any advice appreciated.

Cheers

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
gone-sailing avatar image
gone-sailing answered ·

Unfortunately that won’t give the public IP, that’s the private IP.

@HeuchTech the most reliable way to find your public ip is to connect to a service like whatismyipaddress.com from any device on the network, but you would need to be able to access a device remotely. Even a command line would do if you can run curl or wget from it. Depending on your ISP service there might be one or two layers of NAT so the IP address allocated to the router by the ISP's dhcp may or may not be the actual public IP address. If you can access the router’s admin pages remotely by some means, another option would be to configure dynamic dns. Others reading this are probably thinking if you can access the admin page then you already know the public IP address, but that’s not always the case as some modern routers include a way to do remote management without having direct access to the router, sometimes through a mobile app.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ooops, yes you're correct. I didn't read it properly. I will delete my post.
0 Likes 0 ·
djingis avatar image
djingis answered ·

The VRM should be able to see the external IP that the Cerbo is using to connect to VRM. I have the same issue. Unfortunately I don't use dyndns on the router and I my router is getting different ip's from the telcom company all the time.

Is there no way to see in the public IP that the gateway (cerbo) is using to connect to VRM in the VRM portal? That would solve the issue heuchtech and I have when we don't have local access to the network and want to figure out the external IP used by the router.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Try having /diagnostics at the end of your url, like this:

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/90578/diagnostics

2 |3000