question

bjorn-n avatar image
bjorn-n asked

MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 software bug

Hi,

I had an existing setup with a MultiPlus-II 48/3000 and a GX device. It is set up as an ESS system. By setting the "grid set point" on the GX device, I can control charging/inverting of the system. It was working fine until a relay on the "old" MultiPlus-II 48/3000 died.

For the time being, I've replaced the "old" MultiPlus-II 48/3000 with a new MultiPlus-II 48/5000. Please note that the new MultiPlus is currently only connected to the battery (off course) and AC-IN. The terminals for AC-OUT1 and AC-OUT2 are not in use.

The new MultiPlus-II shows very strange behaviour. Regardless of the grid set point, it charges the batteries at maximum possible power and, it's seemingly getting it's energy out of nowhere...

screenshot-at-2022-02-26-09-59-16.pngIt does not take into account the grid setpoint. The screenshot above was taken with the grid set point set to +2000W. As you can see it disregards it coimpletely and charges at 3222W (close to its 70A max).

So I tried setting the grid setpoint to 0W but instead limiting the charge power to 1000W. The new MultiPlus-II disregards this setting as well.

screenshot-at-2022-02-26-09-59-06.pngI've upgraded the firmware on my GX device from 2.63 to 2.66 (latest version) in an attempt to "fix" this strange behaviour. The values on the GX device are totally wrong, AC-Out is not connected, so there can't be any current/power flowing on that output. It looks to me like the AC-In and AC-Out get mixed up somehow.

screenshot-at-2022-02-26-10-03-14.png

Here's the firmware version of the "new" MultiPlus-II device:

screenshot-at-2022-02-26-10-02-55.png

Can anyone point out what could be wrong here?

Multiplus-II
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

The latest GX firmware is 2.84 and 494 for the MultiPlus.

0 Likes 0 ·
bjorn-n avatar image bjorn-n Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thank you for pointing that out!
The GX (currently on 2.66) itself shows no newer firmware available though.

screenshot-at-2022-02-26-10-50-50.png

I have just updated VEConfigure, the assistants and by upgrading VEConfigure found out that the USB-Mk3 firmware could be updated as well.

The system is already showing a different behaviour (charging with less power), but not yet the behaviour that I'd expect given the settings. And it is still getting that charging of power (128W) seemingly out of nowhere.

screenshot-at-2022-02-26-11-17-37.pngI haven't upgraded the firmware of the MultiPlus-II yet. That will be my next step.
if that doesn't help either, I'll go back to upgrade the GX device.

0 Likes 0 ·
bjorn-n avatar image bjorn-n bjorn-n commented ·
Never mind my comment on different behaviour. The system is still misbehaving. I've changed the grid set point from 0W to +200W and it's charging at more than 3000W.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ bjorn-n commented ·

What GX device do you have?

Try to set 'auto update' to 'check only' and then check for updates again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Raspberry Pi with Venus OS on it.
0 Likes 0 ·

No luck, even when "manually" checking for updates.

screenshot-at-2022-02-26-14-10-46.png

I will leave it set like this. Perhaps it will show in a couple of hours.

This turned out not to be the root of the issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ bjorn-n commented ·

Strange but I don't know how that works on a Pi.
But the latest Venus OS version is definitely 2.84.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2022/01/31/venus-os-v2-80/

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
bjorn-n avatar image
bjorn-n answered ·

Fixed! The MultiPlus-II shows normal behaviour and does whatever the Grid setpoint tells it to do. The grid now shows the correct values. Disregard the State of Charge (100%) in the screenshot below as I just switched the MultiPlus-II and GX on so it hasn't collected enough data yet to display the correct SoC.

screenshot-at-2022-02-26-14-19-07.png

I went through a lot of stuff, so I'm not 100% sure exactly what did the trick.

The first thing I did was upgrade the GX from 2.63 to 2.66 but that (alone) did not fix the issue.

I suspect though that upgrading the firmware of the MultiPlus-II from firmware 481 to firmware 494 was crucial in fixing the issue.

The firmware upgrade of the MultiPlus-II from 481 to 494 reset all settings to factory default, so I also had to

- reconfigure the inverter/charger in VE Configure 3

- reconfigure the ESS assistant from scratch

I did save my configuration prior to the MultiPlus firmware upgrade, but when I loaded the configuration and assistant, VEConfigure did notice it was from an older firmware version and I had to check the settings anyway.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image
markus answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

bjorn-n avatar image bjorn-n commented ·
The 3.5mm jack wasn't the issue. It's a brand new device and I haven't used that socket. Good to know though this could be an issue!

0 Likes 0 ·