question

davidk-1 avatar image
davidk-1 asked

VE.Bus BMS doesn't deactivate loads when lithium battery is under 2.8 Volts

Hello,

i have an issue with my Victron Setup (Smart Lithium Battery, VE.Bus BMS,Multicontrol, Multiplus 800/35, Smartprotect, Smartshunt, Mppt, Orion 12/12).

The BMS doesn't disconnect loads when the Battery is empty (under 2.8 volt). And the multiplus doesn't charge when pre-alarm is enable, but will charge when battery is under 2.8 volt.

Multiplus is running BMS assistant.

Here are all things that are happening:

3.1 Volts:

- Smart Lithium Battery (in App): pre-alarm undervoltage

- VE.Bus BMS: red LED und blue LED are on. "Multiplus enable" led is on.

- Smartprotect Charge is deactivated

-Multiplus Inverter is activated, Multiplus doesn't charge (you hear the clicking sound, Multicontrol shows "bulk charging" but no current is flowing)

- Smartprotect Loads are activated

2.8 Volts:

- Smart Lithium Battery (in App): discharged deactivated

- VE.Bus BMS: blue LED is on. "Multiplus enable" led is on.

- Smartprotect Charge is activated

-Multiplus Inverter is activated, Multiplus is charging

- Smartprotect Loads are activated

Can anybody tell me what is wrong?

Best Regards

Lithium Batterymultiplus ve.bus
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @David.k,

how exactly did you wire the SBP (loads) to the VE.Bus BMS?

You can try to trigger a load disconnect by unplugging one of the BMS cables from the VE.Bus BMS. If everything is working as intended, the LED for the Multi should turn red and the blue LED should go off.

0 Likes 0 ·
davidk-1 avatar image davidk-1 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Stefanie

The SBP is connected like this: SBP: Remote high VE.Bus BMS: Load disconnect

I will try to remove one BMS cable tomorrow.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
davidk-1 avatar image
davidk-1 answered ·

Nobody has any solutions?

@Stefanie

I also tried to disconnect one BMS cable (Battery) from the VE.Bus BMS.

--> BMS shows red LED and blue LED is off. Loads and charge are deaktivated. Works fine like it should.

BUT: When i plug the BMS cable from the battery in again, the blue LED is on and discharge is activeted.

Note: The Battery is on under voltage (2.8 volts and says "discharge deactivated" in the Victron App)

Is there a failure with the Smart Lithium Battery, sending wrong signals?

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

@David.k,

Absolutely possible that there is something wrong with the controller inside the battery.

Which type of SmartLithium do you have and how old is the battery?

There is one more thing you can try that is to reset the controller of the battery. Open VictronConnect and connect to your battery. Click on the setting wheel top right, then click on the 3 vertical dots, also top right and select product info. There is a setting 'Controller', which you can restart. See if that solves the problem and let us know please.

0 Likes 0 ·
The battery is brand new, SmartLithium160AH/12V. I already tried to restart the controller twice. No changes.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ davidk-1 commented ·
Understand. What is the firmware of the battery?
0 Likes 0 ·

Cant tell you the exact version right now. But it was definitely the newest firmware and an newer update was not available in the Settings via App.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ davidk-1 commented ·

It should be v1.25. You can see that in the same menu where you reset the controller. Even if it says "This is the latest version!", it depends on the version of VictronConnect as this contains the latest firmware versions for the devices. Make sure VictronConnect is up to date.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ok. I will check the firmware later. But the VictronApp was up to date when i checked the battery.
0 Likes 0 ·

Summarized:
VE.Bus BMS working and Battery controller is working as well (as can be seen by "discharge deactivated" in the Victron App).

Assuming the battery's firmware is up to date, then it is likely a problem with the BMS cable inside or outside the battery and the battery should be replaced by your dealer under warranty.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic