question

kabyak avatar image
kabyak asked

Cerbo GX to Axiom MFD via NMEA2000

I've built up a LifePo4 system with Victron components including a Cerbo GX which I want to link to my Raymarie Axiom MFD for display. I also have a Wakespeed WS500 regulator with Can Bus connected to the Cerbo via VE Can. The WS500 configuration manual shows how to wire a standard Cat5 cable by cutting off an end and connecting the Wht/Org to CAN_H (NMEA white) and Org to CAN_L (NMEA blue). I've done this and plugged into VE Can on the Cerbo and an open white spur port on a Seatalk NG strip near my Raymarine autopilot power unit.

With this configuration the Cerbo does not appear on the Axiom and I to lose AP comm as well. I've tried both VE Can ports on the Cerbo, with and without a terminator, I've set the VE Can port to 250kbps. In the Cerbo setup page, two ports are available but there is no physical mark on the device to show which port is which, nor do I find anything on this in the manual.

As I search through other related posts, I see descriptions of similar setups that have had success at least in getting data to the Axiom. Can anyone shed light on this?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ofernander avatar image
ofernander answered ·

You want pairs 7/8 of the RJ45 for the CAN H/L attached are some pictures detailing this.

Also be aware that if you want to use the Victron app on a newer Axiom based chart-plotter you need to plug the VE.bus directly into the chart-plotter it does not work off NMEA2k it utilizes a TCP based technology called MQTT. If you choose to connect your Cerbo GX to the N2K backbone you can still see some things that have standard N2K PGNs like battery level and tank levels but will not be able to use the Victron app to control devices like the inverter.

Good luck! I made my own cable using these references and it's working as it should.

rj45-wiring-schemes.jpg clipboard03.jpg

screenshot-from-2022-02-17-17-01-45.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kabyak avatar image kabyak commented ·
You suggestion worked, I now get visibility of the Cerbo, Multiplus, AND my Wakespeed WS500 via it's connection to the 2nd VE Can port of the Cerbo. As suggested, useful data is very limited, but I did get battery V and current to display using the engine dashboard screen.

Progress!

0 Likes 0 ·
kabyak avatar image
kabyak answered ·

Thanks much! I'll try this today. I gather from your description that MQTT must be enabled in the Cerbo as well.

2 |3000