question

sebm avatar image
sebm asked

Connect Pepwave GPS data to Raspberry Pi VenusOS?

Hi,

Brand new to the Victron Community, I did some research about that topic but couldn't find a real answer to "is this possible or not"?

My setup (in a Voltage Toy Hauler - RV)

• Pepwave Max Transit Duo with GPS antenna
    • Can be set up to forward GPS data via UDP using an NMEA format / standard (not sure about the right terms here)
  • Raspberry Pi with Venus OS, connected via Wifi (additional AP in the rig)
  • MPII 2x120 connected via MK3-USB to the Pi
  • SmartShunt connected via VE.Direct - USB to the Pi
  • more blue stuff to come (SCC)

I know an easy way to get GPS data could be to buy a USB GPS module and plug it in directly to the Pi, but I don't like to duplicate something if I already have it (in case redundancy is super important), and having this GPS module in my 5th wheel front storage bay will probably not be as efficient as my rooftop antenna connected to the Pepwave.

Question is: is it possible to use the GPS data that the Pepwave can forward in that NMEA standard with VenusOS ?

Is there a need to code something to listen to that UDP communication and forward it to the MQQT server on the Pi (if doable?) or is there a simpler approach?

Thanks!

Seb

gps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
sam-carleton avatar image
sam-carleton answered ·

I, too, am new to Venus OS and would like to do the same basic thing, did you ever find a solution?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

powerace avatar image
powerace answered ·

Hi,

I never tried it my self but here they used the socat command. You will need some Linux skills to get that done.

Success.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic