question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.83~1 available for testing

Good evening!

A new version to test; fixing two issues introduced with v2.80. That version, v2.80 is the last big release, having many changes and new features. Be sure to check them out, easiest place to do that is its blog post.

Our plan for releasing this new version, v2.83, is super soon.

In case you don't know what this message is about, then please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program.

What to test?

• Input current limit settings.
  • ESS Systems with PV Inverters and having zero-feed-in enabled.

Changes, compared to v2.82:

• Fix the Input current limit shown the wrong value (40A) sometimes.
  • Fix issue that caused incorrectly configured Fronius PV-inverters to shut down instead of going to their maximum power. And maybe this affected other PV Inverters as well; it depends how they interpret a certain command; which for this one can differ slightly on configuration and make. This change in v2.83 simply changes the behaviour back to how it was, so it for sure works good.

How to post an issue?

Preferably all issues are organised as answers to this question. One answer per issue. So first check the existing threads. If you have the same as someone else already reported, welcome to add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer. Note that Answers and Comments are two different things here on community.

Lastly, please first revert to v2.73, to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs, and one of the first things that needs doing in triaging a report is distinguishing between the two.

Running SetupHelper, GuiMods or other customer code?

Please then first remove that, and see if you still have an issue. Or at a minimum mention that, and then don't be surprised if I ask to take that elsewhere directly with @Kevin Windrem, or remove it first.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Best regards, Matthijs

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
thomasw-1 avatar image
thomasw-1 answered Ā·

Hi Matthijs,

I like to refer to an problem with DVCC functionality, which is not working according to description of DVCC manual. This topic is not new, but unfortunately not solved since a long time.

Issue:
In case a a charge current limit is defined in DVCC, it is considered by Multiplus but not by MPPT.

Deviations from DVCC manual

• 8.4.1. 1)
    In case DVCC charge limit is smaller than CANBUS-BMS limit, GX/MPPT does not care.
  • 8.4.1. 2)
    The manual refers, that this mechanism does not work with non-Victron MPPTs.
    However it unfortunately does also not work for Victron SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/100 rev2 (at least in the setup described below).
  • 8.4.1. 3)
    The manual refers that the functionality might not work without a SmartShunt. Since DC current is exactly know by GX because of the CANBUS-BMS, there should be not need for a Shunt.
    When BMS reports a lower limit, MPPT power is also redirected to grid. Why not in the case of the DVCC current limit?

Potential Solution
Since CANBUS-BMS related charge limits are exactly considered - also for a mixed AC-Out related inverter and Victron MPPT mix - the implementation would be quite simple considering following logic
MIN(<BMS charge limit>;<DVCC charge limit>)

Would be great, if you could consider a fix soon.

Setup:

• MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-48 in 3-phase config
  • Fronius Symo 6.0-3-M on AC-Out
  • SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/100 rev2
  • BYD LVS battery

Cheers,
Thomas

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi Thomas, noted; thank you.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered Ā·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy)

I had noticed I was exceeding my DVCC max charge current, since changing to 2.83-1 and doing some testing at low and high current presets, all working perfectly..

5 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi Wayne, I can't fully follow: is there an issue we need to look into? or not?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Wayne avatar image Wayne mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi @mvader (Victron Energy)

No, I was confirming I had had the issue with earlier firmware, had updated to 2.83-1 done some testing and all 100%, no issue..

Cheers

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Wayne commented Ā·
Ok great, then all clear. Thank you!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
thomasw-1 avatar image thomasw-1 Wayne commented Ā·
Hi Wayne,

Do you also have a Fronius inverter installed on AC-OUT beside the MPPT on DC?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
thomasw-1 avatar image thomasw-1 Wayne commented Ā·

@mvader (Victron Energy) ,

Please see an example, which I took today.

• Charge current was set to 15A
  • Fronius power is either consumed directly or fed into grid > expected behavior
  • Multiplus don't invert 14,3A (surplus beyond 15A charge threshold) into grid > full available power from MPPT is charged into batteries. In worst case it's up to 92A (5000W) despite the max charge setting

vrm.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
vrm.png (106.9 KiB)

Related Resources