question

jack-beach avatar image
jack-beach asked

MultiPlus 2 GX WiFi issues

Hi,

I have a MultiPlus 2 GX with built in WiFi.

If I connect it to the router with an Ethernet cable I can run VRM and access all the settings.

While connected through the Ethernet cable I am trying to connect to the router via WiFi. This is where I am having a major problem

The signature strength is at 54-54% but it is failing to connect. Sometimes it cannot even see the wireless network. I have been trying for hours and have not yet been successful. Is there an issue with these devices? Do I need to give up and have Ethernet cables through my house?

Multiplus-IIwifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Jack Beach

What you may be up against here is the one-at-a-time ethernet/wifi access. Usually possible to connect concurrently, but ethernet gets priority and wifi only kicks in when ethernet is down. (This may have changed a little in the detail over the years.)

Try pulling the cable, and see if you can connect wifi then. Be patient, it may take a few minutes to sort itself.

If that doesn't work, try rebooting the GX. If you need the cable to do that, pull it as soon as it accepts the reboot instruction. It should awaken eager for a connection.

If that doesn't work, then it may be the signal strength, 54% isn't really that great. But let's see..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Gavin avatar image
Gavin answered ·

I have the same problem with MultiPlus-II GX. If your multi managed to connect via wifi at least once then your wifi settings have been saved. While multi is on, push the reset button to restart the GX. This will clear a stuck wifi loop and connect once restarted. I have to do the reset at least once a day to fix the wifi connection.

Planning to update firmware to 501 soon, hope that fixes it.

2 |3000

Robert Boerescu avatar image
Robert Boerescu answered ·

I have an easysolar 2 and I have the same problem. I do not think it has anything to do with multiplus firmware, I have 501 and latest GX firmware. In the end I got a tp-link re605x wifi repeater and connected the ethernet of the repeater to the ethernet of the easysolar 2. The repeater is connected by wifi 5ghz to the rest of the wifi network. I had no issues with it connected this way.

The wifi in the GX devices is just so bad....

1 comment
2 |3000

Gavin avatar image Gavin commented ·
You right, either Wi-Fi hardware is very poor or Venus OS doesn't manage it properly. FW 501 upgrade didn't help either. I'll have to do the reaper / extender move too and connect inverter with LAN cable for network stability.
0 Likes 0 ·
bob-bobson avatar image
bob-bobson answered ·

Please forgive the potential silliness of this answer, but do make sure the separate WiFi antenna is screwed into the top left corner of the MPii - they can connect (albeit rather poorly) to strong WiFi networks without this, so it is easy to forget. The GX on an MPii is a real pig to configure on a remote terminal if the WiFi signal is weak, which may lead to the kids learning some new curse-words at home.

Also have a look on your router (or range extender) whether perhaps the access point's range setting is not at maximum strength. If you don't already have one, consider adding a WiFi range extender (on a backed-up supply) - it can be an easier solution than running ethernet cables everywhere.

In general, the WiFi setup on Venus is not brilliant, the ppl at @Victron may wish to take note of. One particular clanger is that the WiFi password field is rather short, so one might end up having to change one's WiFi network password (an awkward piglet) to accommodate Victron's laziest programmer or set up a second (guest) SSID on the home network just for the MPii.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes