question

nigelb avatar image
nigelb asked

Generator temperature sensor to Cerbo GX

I want to connect a temperature sensor from my Fischer Panda inverter generator to my Cerbo GX. Is it just a question of attaching it to the generator and connecting the sensor cable prongs into the temperature input sockets on the Cerbo? What should I be aware of?

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

Hi Nigelb

Yes it should be that simple, once connected, in the Cerbo Settings- I/O - Analog Inputs.. turbn one of the Temp Sensors on, then you can customise under Device list - Select the sensor - Device

I use a Victron wired Temp Sensor to monitor my hot water which is solar with gas backup, below are the settings

1643779717770.png

1643779717770.png (326.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nigelb avatar image nigelb commented ·
Thanks Wayne. Sorry for delay in replying. Just seen your reply! I cannot find this Victron Wired Sensor you mentioned. Can you provide a link of some sort? TIA
0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Try this link - please note there is a different sensor for the SmartShunt. https://www.victronenergy.com.au/accessories/temperature-sensor-qua-pmp-venus-gx

2 |3000

baronner avatar image
baronner answered ·

What is advised for measuring the battery? Connecting a temperature sensor to the SmartShunt or to a Multiplus/Quattro?

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Baronner

The inverters have a dedicated Temp port, so if you use that it won't tie up the selectable port in the shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image Sarah JohnC ♦ commented ·

Given that all the battery data is coming from the shunt I would recommend using the smartshunt for battery temperature. Of course If you were using the multiplus/quattro for SOC I would use the respective multiplus/quattro temperature probe. Also depending on your circumstances (e.g. on a boat or RV) there may be times when the inverter is turned off and you are charging from an mppt or alternator.

0 Likes 0 ·
baronner avatar image
baronner answered ·

@JohnC, thanks for your quick response. I believe the smartshunt is sharing data to MPPT's for an optimal chargecurrent and voltage. Is a temperature sensor connected to the multiplus doing the same?

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Baronner

If you're using DVCC to share I and V, then yes, you can also invoke STS to pass on the Multi's Temp to the rest of the system. The only proviso there is that the Smartshunt wont get that T reading, so won't compensate batt capacity. That's a minor function though, and you won't miss it.

0 Likes 0 ·
baronner avatar image
baronner answered ·

Great, thank you!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor