question

sass131 avatar image
sass131 asked

CCGX with Smart Shunts, MPPT and without inverter/charger

Hi,

I am thinking of putting together a boat system with CCGX, 3x Smart Shunts and SmartSolar MPPT. System also has DC loads and a BlueSmart battery charger (3 outputs), but this can not be connected to the CCGX. System has no AC loads. I am not thinking of buying an inverter/charger anytime soon which would be connected to the VE.Bus input on the CCGX.

My question is, will the CCGX function with three Smart Shunts and one MPPT connected to it without anything connected to the VE.Bus input? How do I know what the display will show with this kind of setup? My goal is to have one display (instead of two or three BMV-s) for my starter, house and bow thruster batteries (batteries are separated by battery isolators) which displays not only voltage but also state of charge. I want to see the status of MPPT and send all this info to the helm to a Raymarine MFD

In all example schematics and articles I can find about CCGX, there is also input on VE.Bus from some inverter/charger present and I am afraid to make the investment without knowing if the CCGX will work wihtout anything connected to the VE.Bus port.

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@sass131

Yes the GX works like this. I have a GX with no inverter on it for a bunch of mppts and a shunt logging to the VRM

The mppt will be fine, I am not sure how the 3 shunts will appear on the Raymarine though. You will probably have to give them custom names.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sass131 avatar image
sass131 answered ·

Thank You for sharing your experience!

With Raymarine it will be simple. I saw a small video with 3 shunts/bmv-s and a lot more added to the display.

2 |3000