question

snt avatar image
snt asked

How engage the Cyrix 120 start assist function for as long as required

I want to operate an electric anchor windlass using the start assist for longer than 30 seconds, so if I connect the +ve up anchor switch to the Cyrix start assist wire, will the cyrix stay closed as long as that button is pushed?

Cyrix Battery Combiner
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, you can connect a toggle switch (your anchor switch) to hold the relay closed for as long as you want.
However, you'll have to remember to switch it off after you have finished using the windlass.

From the manual, third sentence:

1643363936215.png

The manual:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Cyrix-ct-120-EN-NL-DE-FR-ES.pdf

1643363936215.png (29.3 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snt avatar image snt commented ·

Thanks, the anchor windlass "up" switch is a momentary switch and so is turned on and off a number of times during the process of raising anchor. To some extent the Cyrix will be acting like a solenoid letting high amp flow to the anchor windlass each time the up button is engaged, (and I suppose for at least 30 seconds at a time). Current is passing through an 80 Amp breaker so the cable and Cyrix are protected. The signal wire will be fused as well. I m wondering how robust this unit may be when used for this purpose because it is described as an emergency switch . My alternative is of course to install a proper solenoid (leading to the windless contactor) on a separate cable by-passing the Cyrix.

0 Likes 0 ·