question

charlie-pank avatar image
charlie-pank asked

VE bus bms charge disconnect output

I was expecting to be able to control a relay with the charge disconnect output from the BMS, but the output seems to be some kind of logic rather than a straight on or off. Will the victron on-off non-inverting remote cable turn it into a simple on/off that I can control a relay with?

BMSVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

What kind of relay you want to connect?

The "charge disconnect" is only rated for 10mA.
See datasheet:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-VE-Bus-BMS-EN.pdf

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

charlie-pank avatar image charlie-pank commented ·

I have 2 (victron) solar charge controllers, 1 wind turbine charge controller, 1 hydro-generator charge controller, a balmar alternator regulator and a shore-power battery charger which all need to be switched off when the BMS 'charge disconnect' output voltage drops. They are all relay-controlled via a single switch at the moment. If I could get the output of the BMS to throw a master relay, I could simply replace the switch with it and the BMS would have full on/off control of the charging. Perhaps I could use a battery protect as the master relay?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ charlie-pank commented ·
A BatteryProtect would be an option or you use some kind of electronic relay like an Eltako ER61-UC such relays need a very small current to work.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Shouldn't the solar controllers be permanently connected to the battery?
0 Likes 0 ·
charlie-pank avatar image charlie-pank kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Yes, the solar controllers *should* be permanently connected to the battery. The relays disconnect the panels from the controllers.

Today I had success using a battery protect as an on/off switch to control all the relays in response to the BMS output.

0 Likes 0 ·