question

sesshoumaru avatar image
sesshoumaru asked

From mainland to island

I will soon have a 3-phase setup with a Fronius inverter AC coupled on the output of the victron system. The system operates grid-tied with ESS and in case of grid failure should then form a island with continued solar operation.

I know that the Fronius inverter is setup with a country code (for Germany) to be in compliance with the loca grid. So my, maybe stupid, question. What happens if the system goes from mainland (grid) to island mode?

Will I have to then change the config of the Fronius to work with the island setup? Or does it have to be changed already during setup of the AC coupling? Will the Cerbo GX handle the all changes in case of island mode or when mains comes back?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The grid code in the Fronius makes it comply with the rules of the grid that it is connected to.
When the grid goes away, then the rules go away and so then the Fronius can work with whatever grid code it has inside, it will have no idea that it is in an island.

No reconfiguration is necessary, the Fronius will have the correct grid code when the grid reconnects.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.