question

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett asked

Multiplus compact not accepting AC in

After a few years of service, my multiplus 24/1600/40 is no longer taking power from the AC input. The generator works fine with another unit. Whilst upgrading the installation, I've managed to find time to inspect the AC board, and there is visible corrosion round the ac relay pins. Testing the coil resistance of the relays seems to indicate that 2 relay coils have also gone open circuit. The relays are Finder 24vdc, part no 49.91.7.024.2310. Trying to find a source for these - can any one help?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That number is a bit peculiar. I can't "find" any actual relays in the 49 series.
The way I understand it is that the 49 series is a DIN mount relay socket or "interface module". Then within the 49 series I don't see a type 9x.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett answered ·

The part number came off the relay body, however, I've managed to trace an available replacement as 45.91.7.024.0311. The vendor has a min order value of $100, for a $4 part. I don't want to order 25 of these....

2 |3000

Mike Dorsett answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) Bula: Would the relays for repairing the AC board be available from Victron please? I would need 3pcs.(I think current part no finder 45.91.7.024.0311).

5 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Mike,

The unit is still under warranty I suppose? Then best would be to file an RMA (or let your distributor do that) and in there make a note that you’d be happy to just replace those relays.

Though don’t be surprised if we do not have them available; would be great if we had but often do not.

Note that with corrosion, often more has failed, like the pcb tracks.

Hope that helps, I wish its solved soon!

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
@mvader (Victron Energy) Hi The unit is probably about 3 - 5 years old now, so I suppose the warranty is expired. The corrosion was affecting just the solder lands on the relays at this stage - I do have a picture, but it needs some processing before I can post it. Looks like the conformal coating didn't quite stick to some of the joints, and the +24V joints had mild corrosion where these were exposed. Also looks like some heat from one of the relay coil pins has affected the pcb - slight bleaching around the pin.

How do I file the RMA? Unit was purchased from Alphatronic in NZ, by Clay Energy in Fiji.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Mike Dorsett commented ·
Hi, through Clay Energy, or Alphatronic. You’re still in that area?
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
yes, still in Fiji.After 11 years sailing round the world we swallowed the anchor in 2013, now working independently as home system designer, installer and manufacturing Li batteries for home systems.
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett Mike Dorsett commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Hi Mike,

Victron don’t make those parts available to us, sorry.

If Victron say you can do this in the field, please discuss this with them.
I doubt they will provide you with the parts but they may still have the relevant board.

To have anything repaired by us, we will need the unit in our work shop which I understand you do not want to do.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

On 17/01/2022, at 07:38, Mike <mike@mata-ni-bula.com> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Back in 2014/5 you sold ma a Victron 24/1600/40 compact multiplus inverter via Clay Energy. I'm still a little annoyed about having to replace the control board after connecting a faulty temperature sensor to +6V  (this temp sensor wasn't isolated as the manual said it should be). However, this inverter has now stopped accepting AC in from the generator, and further investigation shows that 2 of the three relays on the AC board have blown coils.

I've been in touch with M.Vader at Victron via the forum, and he says to initiate an RMA for this fault, with a note that I'm prepared to swap out the 3 relays. I'm not prepared to hand over a small fortune for a new board, but am willing to change all 3 of the Finder relays on the board. Original relay part no was 49.91.7.024.2310 but these are now obsolete and replaced by 45.91.7.024.0311

Please let me know if you can assist.

Regards,

Mike.

Above is email I sent to Alphatron, and the reply which is not at all useful.

Just need some one to put a couple of these relays in an envelope....

Looks like I'll have to source these from another place....

0 Likes 0 ·