question

plaaspondok avatar image
plaaspondok asked

Surplus PV power on MPPT known?

@mvader (Victron Energy) - Hi Matthijs. Is it possible to determine in a MPPT, how much excess PV power is possibly available from the sun, after a battery has been fully charged, and the load demand is less than the production capability for the current sun available? The MPPT is drawing less energy from the solar panels, because of a lower demand - but how much is possibly available from the sun, which could have been harvested?

A quick max load introduction would reveal the answer. But is it currently possible to calculate and determine from within the MPPT, without initializing a "quick load test"?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The only way to ascertain the surplus available power is to fully load the array to find out the maximum that can be produced and then subtract that from whatever the active load is.
Just like you suggest, a quick load needs to be applied to find out otherwise there is no way to know what the array is capable of producing at that moment in time.
If the battery is full and the loads are satisfied then there is no other load to apply to the system to perform any calculations.Otherwise it's just a complete guess which will most likely be wrong.
This is how those surplus PV water heater gadgets work. They use the heater element to load up the inverter until either the battery starts discharging or the system starts to take energy from the grid and then back off a bit. This feedback loop is monitored continuously as the PV power is constantly variable too.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The accepted way of doing this is to add a calibrated irradience sensor to the installation, this will give you an indication of the current w/m^2 (this can be converted to kW/kWp by the area and efficiency of your array). This can also be integrated to give the cumulative kWh/m (or kWh/kW) per day. This can be compared with your actual consumption to give the excess. Whilst not everyone wants to spend the $800 or so on a calibrated sensor, a home made version can be made from a small solar panel working into a dump load. The power into the dump load can then be monitored, and calibrated against your existing array whilst that is on full load (i.e. in bulk charge).

1 comment
2 |3000

plaaspondok avatar image plaaspondok commented ·
Thanks Mike. I have been contemplating for a while to do this as a plan-B, by buying an Ambient Weather station, and then integrating its solar radiance functionality into my Node-RED control system. Another way I was thinking about, was to log per minute PV capability into a Postgress database, and then over time, build a "maximum PV power seen", per time of day, per month of year - but then one will have to subtract the current percentage of cloud cover as a factor from that.

Or perhaps then even a hybrid of the above...

0 Likes 0 ·
frankmsc68 avatar image
frankmsc68 answered ·

Hi there,I've been charging an electric water boiler from eccessive pv for several years without much problems:three relays are controlling a water heater with three elements seperatly,each one 1kw for a total up to 3 kw.The relays are independently programable in base of timer ,pv power and delay off time.I've set the delay to 5 minutes,so when a clud comes it would not switch off and on constantly.I also reduced my battery charging power a little bit to have the possibility to arrive at the requested power for relay 1 to jump in .Once relay 1 is on it starts to climb up until all 3 relays and therefore the complete heating element is working.As i said,this is working well-i have still in november 70°C in my 300l boiler...Best regards Frank

2 |3000