question

mickn avatar image
mickn asked

Where is the 100/30 SmartSolar Controller ground connection?

Hi, I am installing an MPPT100/30 Smart Solar charge controller to a small camper trailer. There is no 'earth' as such in the existing wiring as the battery bank of two 100 a/h deep cycles is wired direct to common positive and negative busses. Is it necessary to connect the body of the controller to the negative post of one of the batteries?

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

The body of the controler should be connected to the Frame of the camper trailer, or its earthing connection

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carl-erik-kopseng avatar image carl-erik-kopseng commented ·

> the body of the controler should be connected

How would one do that? There is no dedicated port or marking for the ground on the controller, so this is a bit of a mystery. My MPPT 75/15 controller has a metal back and the lack of dedicated space does seem to indicate it should not be used as the one end of the ground wire. I would guess the ground should be connected to one of the terminals, not sure which.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ carl-erik-kopseng commented ·

10143-3d8324d0-b6d9-45c7-abba-adb5fc85991b.jpeg

The ground connection is here.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic