question

aleainc avatar image
aleainc asked

How does Cyrix-Li-Charge work with Smart BMS?

Connecting Victron 200AH Lithium battery with Smart BMS 12/200 to existing Magnum charger/inverter & Magnum ARC50 Remote Control in marine system with alternator and starter battery. According to the smart BMS literature, I need the Cyrix-Li-Charge to protect from overcharging the battery.

My question is, doesn't the BMS disconnect the battery from being overcharged? Also, doesn't the Magnum charger controller stop the charger from overcharging the battery? Just confused how the Li-Charge fits within the BMS and the Charger controller.

Thanks!

Lithium Batterycharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
a-v avatar image
a-v answered ·

The BMS gives disconnect signals when one cell is out of renge (lower than minimum or higher than maximum cell voltage), that is the battery is unbalanced. It is the charger and the load that should care for the total voltage of the battery should remain within the normal range. The battery charger (unknown for me) should care for the right charge of the lithium battery and stop charging when full. The DC consumers should be connected after a BatteryProtect (which disconnects itself if set correctly). The BMS is a safety device, should not trip ever if the system is OK.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic