question

Patrick Nyagah avatar image
Patrick Nyagah asked

Unusual Charging Activity by a Bluesolar 150/70-Tr

Hi guys. We have a site that has three solar arrays connected to 3 different 150/70-Tr Bluesolar charge controllers that charge same battery bank. The system has been working very well up to some time this week when we noticed a very strange phenomenon on the VRM regarding one of the controllers. In the early morning hours, it charges well but from around 11 a.m. onwards, the controller drops the charging power abruptly and eventually ends stops charging . See attached images taken about 1 hour apart depicting today's activity. What might be the issue? @mvader (Victron Energy Staff) @Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff)

MPPT Controllers
vrm-2.jpg (66.3 KiB)
vrm-1.jpg (68.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
porcini avatar image
porcini answered ·

Does this also happen at a low SOC state? Does the wiring of that unit have another length than the other ones? What happens if you put a very heavy load above the charging power on the Quattro for more than 5 Minutes? Will the charge controller continue?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Patrick Nyagah avatar image
Patrick Nyagah answered ·

This happens every day within the times I stated earlier. The system has been working perfectly up to this week. No extra wiring has been introduced and the loads are the same ones that have been running off the Quattro since we completed the installation.

2 |3000

graham avatar image
graham answered ·

Assuming a reasonably even drain of the batteries every night, then at the daylight the SOC would be very close each day. Assuming the amount of charge going onto the batteries each day is near enough the same.

My mind is saying look for a slightly defective connection, particularly the tightness of the screws on the 150/70 battery connections. Also check voltdrop between the controller is less that 0.5%.

I do not know how far apart the 150/70s are but I would be temped to change the cables to the batteries over between one good one and the one causing concern.

If the problem moves to the good one, then it is probably a problem with the cables and the connections on the way to the batteries.

If the problem stays with the original 150/70 I would do a full reset to factory defaults and then reset to the required parameters. If that clears the problems there is a possibility the control firmware went off.

If not would need to think some more.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic