question

mikeebrown avatar image
mikeebrown asked

BMV-712 smart and Multiplus 24/5000

Hi Folks,

I have an off grid setup with a Multiplus 24/5000, my battery performance is relatively poor so bought the BMV-712 smart to monitor usage as have been relying on my solar controller and a big chunk of guesswork to work out where my power is going. So the BMV is installed on the negative side of the consumers, but the Multiplus needs to be connected directly to the battery, which means that my BMV will only monitor the consumers and not the inverter, how do I monitor total usage? Can I run the negative from the inverter to the bus bar and have the shunt between that and the battery, if not, can the BMV harvest the usage from the Multiplus? At present I don't have a way to store historic data from the Multiplus and don't really have time to sit and watch what it's consuming. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks

BMV Battery Monitormultiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The shunt have to be between the battery negative and all other components (loads, charger, chassis).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mikeebrown avatar image mikeebrown commented ·

Hi, thanks for this, the problem is the inverter says it has to be connected directly to the battery? so I have a battery negative for the inverter and one for the consumers. Is it possible to run the inverter and consumer negative to a bus bar and then onto the battery via the shunt? Otherwise I can't see a way to combine the inverter and consumer negatives?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page