question

ddw avatar image
ddw asked

Is an IP67 Blue Smart charger isolated?

Specifically, can I stack two 24V chargers in a 48V bank made from eight 6V batteries in series? There would need to be DC ground isolation from both the AC line and safety ground.

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Looks like no one here knows.

As it's not mentioned in the manual, either assume not isolated, or check with a distributor.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @DDW , apologies that this took me a while! Here is the answer:

Stacking chargers in a battery bank made by multiple 6V (or 12V) batteries connected in series is possible.

Note that there are a few important things to take into account:

1) The nominal voltage of the resulting battery bank is limited to a 48V. Doing this on a higher voltage battery bank will damage the charger.

2) Each of the chargers must have its + and - connected to a battery. This will help keep the batteries balanced, but is also necessary since the chargers may or will fail when only the first charger has its minus and the last charger has its positive wire connected.

In other words: stacking multiple chargers in series to create a higher voltage charger/power supply without adding each individual charger to a battery is not allowed.

I hope above is clear. (In due time) we'll be adding this including a schematic picture to the manual. Thanks for asking!

2 |3000

ddw avatar image
ddw answered ·

Thanks for the answer, even if it took awhile!

The situation I have satisfies your criteria, 48V and always connected to the battery, so I will proceed.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic