question

bsqr avatar image
bsqr asked

Lithium Battery Smart - Charging Has Been Disabled

Wondering if charging is physically disabled by the battery or if simply a signal is sent to the BMS when the Bluetooth connection for a Victron lithium battery displays the alert "Charging has been disabled due to low temperature".

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Bsqr,

it's only the signal being sent to the BMS. You still need one of the Victron BMS to shut down your charger(s).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bsqr avatar image
bsqr answered ·

Thanks. I figured that's the way it worked. I installed a relay and led on my BMS Charge Disconnect to remotely indicate when charging was disabled. But somehow I'm getting voltage output from the Charge Disconnect signal at my Battery Protect when the charging is either enabled or disabled so the BP fails to disconnect.

I originally had the led hooked up without the relay so it was illuminated when charging was enabled and off when disabled (the relay reversed this). The Battery Protect worked as it should in this configuration. It appears my relay may be creating some kind of backfeed into the Charge Disconnect signal??? In any event, it looks like I need to remove the relay for now if I want the charge disconnect to function properly. BTW - there is a voltage drop that occurs when the BMS signals to disconnect charging that is sufficient enough to trigger the relay and make the led function properly, but apparently not enough to trigger the Battery Protect.

1 comment
2 |3000

Are you using a battery protect to switch off your chargers? If so, then this mode should be avoided because of possible reverse current, unless charger positive goes to the In terminal and Out is connected to the battery. See the manual.

If you have Victron chargers, they most probably have a remote on/off port. That's where you should wire the charge disconnect to.

Need more info on your system, charger type, which BMS, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
bsqr avatar image
bsqr answered ·

Yes, using BP's in conjunction with VE.bus BMS to disconnect charging for solar and alternator. BP's have chargers connected to IN and battery connected to OUT. BP's are set to Li-Ion Mode with VE.bus BMS Charge Disconnect signal connected to H terminal on BP. Solar charger is a Victron MPPT 150/70. Alternator charging is a Sterling BB1260 DC to DC charger. The system functioned correctly prior to installing my small mA relay for the LED that I installed.

I took my van out of storage a couple of days ago and the batteries were below 41 degrees since I don't heat the battery compartment while in storage. With the battery temp below 41 and BMS Charge Disconnect active (shown on the VE.bus BMS) I saw 40A charging displayed on my BMV when running the engine. This clued me in to the fact that BP's weren't being triggered by the Charge Disconnect signal when they should have.

I'm going to remove my add on LED relay to see if the BP's then go back to functioning correctly as they did before.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic