question

powerwall105 avatar image
powerwall105 asked

House power backup system design.

Hello Guys,

i've decided to prepare myself and install power backup system for my house with off-grid in mind.

I hope and I ask for that that Victron professionals will step in and help me to identify necesssary building blocks. Let me draw a picture:

1. the current situation: my house has 3-phase power supply: L1, L2, L3, N, PE. It's in Europe so it is 230VAC between L-N, and 400 VAC between L-L. This 3-phase power is distributed in my electric switchboard so different phases power lights, wall sockets, appliances (washing machine, gas heater, fridges, PCs and so forth...) - to spread the load more or less evenly between the phases. I have devices powered by 3-phase as well: induction cooking, electric oven and sauna. In my garage i'm using 3-phase powered tools - i'm talking aobut 3-phase induction motors, among them, the biggest one is 5.5kW air compressor and milling machine (1.5kW spindle, 3.7kW spindle, 0.6kW power feed, 1.1kW power feed), lathe 1.5kW, welding machine... Of course i'm not using all the machines at the same time. I a hobby guy, not factory.

My first assumption is my garage will not be off-grid as it will probably be VERY expensive to build off-grid system to cope with my machines - both in terms of power delivery and energy storage.

Due to the above lets assume power backup with off-grid option for the house only. I have an electric car battery (chevy volt) 28kWh of energy in 2kWh 12S 48V Li-Ion modules - this is my energy storage.

For charging i plan to install PV panels and i have two small wind turbines (200W only).

What would be the recommended setup to have the possibility to disconnect myself from city mains while i'm not using workshop machines.

I'm afraid going 3-phase using Victron toys will be super expensive (for the average Joe). How about 1-phase inverter for the beginning and connect lights, sockets, fridge, freezer, PCs, TVs, internet, whasing machine, kettle to one or two phases (i mean use inverter AC output bridged in main switchboard to L1 and L2 with an interlock making sure it will be possible with city power isolated).

Victron have so many devices that i'm lost. Is it better to use inverter and a separated battery bank charger? Or inverter-charger combined device? Or maybe solar inverter charger? So many options.

For sure i can not go below 3kW AC output, 5kW preferably. The cost is rising high quickly... Which chargers are suitable to work with 14S Li-Ion battery banks (remember i'll use Chevy Volt modules)?

How to design the system so i can connect additional PV panels in the future if it turn out that my PV panels are not strong enough to keep my powerwall charged or i decide to add more batteries.

I'm not a millionare - this is another thing to take into account:)

Please, let's talk and draw some picture:)

Thank you,

bogi

offgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Really for this sort of advise you should be going to your local victron dealer and getting advise from them as they will have to end up supporting you

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

powerwall105 avatar image
powerwall105 answered ·

i don't have a local victron dealer...

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

As per the terms and conditions of this site, it is expressly not for design or architecture help.

If you can buy the equipment, the seller/distributor has to be qualified and is responsible for support.

https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources