question

elel avatar image
elel asked

AC IN shown as not available in VenusOS / VRM

I am new in using Victron products and is still at the very beginning of the learning curve. I have started setting up a 48V LiFeP04 battery system with a MultiPlus II 48/5000/70-50. Before the installation, I am now doing various tests to understand all the features and parameters of setting up the MP-II. I encountered a number of problems, and the seller of the MP-II was not able to help at all (I sent them the questions, they said that they have no training on technical support and agreed to forward the questions to Victron…and then no result even after my chasers….) I have to say that I feel frustrated and hope that the community here can help.

One of the problems I encountered is the missing of AC IN shown in the dashboard of VenusOS/RPi and VRM. To demonstrate this problem in a simple and easily repeatable way, I put the MP-II as follows:

• in CHARGE ONLY mode (i.e., with the main switch in II position)
  • no connection at AC-Out 1 and 2
  • the only connection is the AC IN and the battery terminals
  • no virtual switch or assistant installed
  • charging current limits were set at 18A AC and 70A DC

(Note: The same problem also occurred in the other settings and the AC IN were also shown as not available in VenusOS/VRM.)

Below are the screenshots of VEConfig, VictronConnect, VenusOS/RPi and VRM during the charging.

charging-veconfig.jpg

charging-victronconnect.jpg

charging-venusos.jpg

charging-vrm.jpg

You can see that the AC IN could be shown correctly in VEConfig and VictronConnect. However, in the VenusOS/RPi and VRM screen, the AC IN was shown as not available. The VRM screen even displayed the alert "AC-Input Not available" while it was using the AC-Input to charge the battery pack!

Can anyone help to explain why the AC IN was shown as not available and how the problem can be solved?

Venus OS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

elel avatar image elel commented ·
I just noticed that the VRM screen showed the battery as "Discharging" while the battery was actually being charged at that moment. Very confusing.....
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Justin Tierney avatar image
Justin Tierney answered ·

Did you enable it? In the venusOS software, should be same as my Cerbo GX if you go to settings, system settings, you should be able to enable AC in.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

elel avatar image elel commented ·
Thanks for the answer and it sloved my problem. I was so dumb to think that it showed the AC in status at the moment when I was setting up the the VenusOS (with my MP-II only connected to battery, so AC in "Not available" was what I expected). I just set it to "Grid" and the VenusOS/VRM are now displaying the AC in power consumption.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Look into the settings of the GX device via remote console.
In system-setup there are settings for the AC IN, if it is set to "not available" it will not be shown.

2 |3000

Related Resources