question

Was avatar image
Was asked

EasySolar Disconnecting When charging from Grid

Anyone can give me tips on how to fix this issue with my EasySolar II GX please. The system simply disconnects and connects again all the time when it is charging from the Grid.
I was told that it is a hardware issue, but can i know specifically how can i fix it myself as i can't get in contact with the dealer here?

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Was

Usually parts are replaced when this happens if it is not installation related.

Does the issue improve if you drop the charge amps from grid? By disconnect do you mean the multi's relay is clicking over or the gx itself is the issue?

I have had a few that are unhappy with the resistance on the incoming grid lines. And had a friend with a gx issue that required a replacement.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Was avatar image
Was answered ·

Hi @Alexandra,
thanks for your reply,
Yes, exactly, i have noticed that this usually happens when the system is charging at high amps, and happens less as the battery is near full when the charging amps drop.

By disconnect, i mean that while the grid is on, the inverter cuts our the electricity on its output for like 30 seconds and then it connects again.

I also notice that sometimes the system resets ( the screen shows that it is reseting ) although the ac output does not cut-off in this case.

Also what might the problem be if it is an installation issue ? I have made the installation myself as part of a DIY project and have no contact with any victron dealer in my area. So probably i would have to deal with this myself and any help would be really appreciated.

3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Was

Usually then we would start at the heart of the system which is the battery. What do you have? Are they lithiums can the bms take the charge current being given? (Sometimes they say they can but actually cannot.) Possible the charge voltage is also too high also? What does the battery manufacturer recommend? Maybe lower the charge current a bit and see if the situation improves. If it does then you are heading in the right direction.

Second check is on AC in side. It may be a high resistance connection. Sometimes undersized wiring causes weird behaviour or loose connections. But with this one you would normally hear relays clicking, unless there are bigger issues.

Heat can also be an issue. It is working hard when charging, fans should be running. If they are not then hardware is another issue. If they are then does the unit have good space around it for adequate cooling. Is there anything in the system that seems like it is warmer than it should be?

0 Likes 0 ·
Was avatar image Was Alexandra ♦ commented ·
thanks again @Alexandra,

am using 4 Gel batteries (200AH / 12v),
the max charging current recommended for these is (0.1C - 0.25C),
and the voltage (14.6 - 15.0),
both seem to be in the range if am correct.
I'll try to lower the charging current a bit as per recommendation and give this a try.

- I do hear a clicking sound when the system disconnects, this happens like twice both when it disconnects and when it connects again. The wires are actually oversized but I'll double check for loose connections.

- Usually when it is charging at high amps from the grid, the fans kicks off right away and i hear them loud. The unit feels just warm, i don't think there is an overheating unless something inside which i can't reach. The inverter has lots of space around it and the battery temperature is usually at an average of 20C.

Again, i really appreciate you kind help :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Was commented ·

@Was

So with gel they wont be tripping but maybe they cannot take over when the grid kicks out. (That will be the clicking sound you are hearing.) What is their age and number of cycles It is possible their internal resistance is high. What size cable do you have on the battery side? And on the interlinks? And you are charging at 20A on the dc side?

There is also the question still of why the grid is being rejected though.

And heat is not likely to be an issue if fans are running, ambient is not high and you have good space.

0 Likes 0 ·
Was avatar image
Was answered ·

Thanks @Alexandra,
the age of the batteries is near 3 month only,
i use 35mm2 cable (2awg) as recommended by the manual,
for other cables, am using 6mm2 size for both ac input, output and panels.
thanks for your help :)

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Was

Usually I would suspect an AC connection (resistance too high or out of set range) something doesnt meet the grid code set? But there is not much more I can do to help over the internet.

I see you have had this problem just after being installed, maybe about a month in. It may be worth your time taking it in, especially if you know there have been no changes to the system.

We have issues with grid where we are. Poor maintenance on infrastructure and then worse repair jobs to lines make a setup the Multi 2s dont like.

Other than suggesting a lower charge current from the grid to try reduce the rejections, or taking it in for a warranty check, since you have followed recommended install requirements. They may want photos of the install.

0 Likes 0 ·
Was avatar image Was Alexandra ♦ commented ·
thanks @Alexandra,

you've been very helpful,
i'll see what can i do, hopefully getting to a solution :)

0 Likes 0 ·