question

jj-o-jj avatar image
jj-o-jj asked

Easy Solar II - Power assist - required current sensors

ES II - does it need Smart shunt on a battery side and optional "current sensor" on AC input side to correctly perform Power assist function when using a genset?

All i can find in the ES II manual is: "3.1.8. PowerAssist – Extended use of generator or shore current
This feature takes the principle of PowerControl to a further dimension allowing the product to supplement the capacity of the
alternative source. Where peak power is often required only for a limited period, the product will make sure that insufficient AC
mains or generator power is immediately compensated for by power from the battery. When the load reduces, the spare power is used to recharge the battery. "

powerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

For PowerAssist it is not needed at all.

It is optional for ESS in a single phase grid and if you want to use power from the battery to supply loads at the input of the MultiPlus or you have an AC coupled PV inverter on the input.

You can use that CT instead of an ET112.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
It's all internal to the unit. It monitors the power consumption and supplements as needed. No extra components needed. It's limited by any AC input that's configured (and the factory setting may be lower than you expect) and obviously the breaker limits on the output circuits.
2 comments
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
I'm confused as well. The sensor is referenced on the datasheet and in the manual, and it strongly implies it's necessary.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ snoobler commented ·
Now I'm confused. I've an easysolar 1. No mention of the ecternal sensor, but the wording in the manual is identical apart from that and the extra level statent.
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

As quite clearly stated in the manual and quoted below, when you connect the multi using only the ACIN, then one is required. This is because it is bidirectional and you don't actually require connections on the ACOUTS when used in parallel to the grid.

"3.2.1. External current transformer (optional)

When used in a grid-parallel topology the internal current transformer cannot measure the current to or from the mains. In this case an external current transformer has to be used."

2 comments
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

You skipped over:

3.1.11. External current transformer (option)

External current transformer option to implement PowerControl and PowerAssist with external current sensing

At best, it's ambiguous.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw snoobler commented ·

"Option" is quite basic english I'd say and if you read everything together it makes sense. I don't disagree that some confusion may arise from it, especially if you are not familiar with the equipment. Nice thing is you can actually contribute and edit the manual if memory serves me well, so this could be your chance ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
jj-o-jj avatar image
jj-o-jj answered ·

So what? "Optional" current sensor is mandatory or not for the Power assist function of the multiplus ii to work properly?

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Yeah, I guess this debate does nothing to get you closer to an answer.

I never knew such a thing existed because my Quattro runs powerassist with no issues and no external sensor.

On most (if not all) PowerAssist capable Victron inverters, an external sensor is not required for simple PowerAssist function.

However, the wording in the manual is ambiguous.

Hopefully, a member of Victron staff like @mvader (Victron Energy) will chime in to provide clarity and initiate a change request to clarify the manual.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic