question

blue-highways-traveler avatar image
blue-highways-traveler asked

Smart shunt settings

I watched Johannes video about how to set up a smart shunt and he mentioned modifying the settings for charging with solar. I am charging with solar but also from an alternator through a DC to DC charger. I have AGM batteries. Should I use the solar settings he mentioned or my settings from my charger?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Solar.

The irregular nature of solar charging can trigger false syncs to 100% well before 100% is reached.

You can charge from any source, but the full charges need to be triggered by at least a few 100% syncs with solar to maintain accuracy.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The video is good, but goes quickly. What he's saying is that if you need to do it, then do it. Basis is that there is no completely accurate way of determining a battery state of charge. Each method has limitations and the readings are subject to error, which can accumulate. Hence the automatic resynchronise.

If your periods on solar only are short, no need. If they're long and charging is affected by weather, then do it, but you end up experimenting. (tuning or guesswork...). Incremental approach seems best here.

It won't affect the other charging methods as they're driven by battery voltage, not SOC indications. With exceptions like using SOC to start a generator.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic