question

callwild avatar image
callwild asked

Smart Shunt 500 shows Low battery voltage

Since having my Smart shunt fitted by a professional auto sparx along with a Battery To Battery charger and a new battery I was looking forward to being able to monitor the Battery.
However the app constantly shows a low reading of Between 12.38 and 12.54 and usually stays around 12.45 despite both the display on the vehicle PSU showing it fully charged at 13.4 volts and a Multi meter directly to the battery showing 13.2 V immediately after 24 hours on EHU charging.
I have set the State of Charge at 100% for 13.2V so don't understand the low reading on the app.
Any ideas. I have heard of people trying a new shunt and then getting correct reading.
I have chacked all the usual advice of all loads to correct side and making sure a 1A fuse is used.
Should I be sending the shunt back to exchange or somethimng else?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mike avatar image
mike answered ·

are you sure that the voltage wire from the shunt is connected to the right battery ? it sound like you are measuring the voltage from the starter battery instead of your new battery.

do you have a picture of your install ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

callwild avatar image callwild commented ·
Hi Mike

Thanks again for your answer , I went back to the installer and on checking it seems he had connected the red input to the wrong battery. He was using the connection to the battery to battery charger and put it to the wrong side.
All seems correct and as I was expecting now.

0 Likes 0 ·
callwild avatar image
callwild answered ·

Thanks for the reply. I believe all is correct.In this photo `A` is connected to all -ve.

B is connected ONLY to the -ve of leisure battery.

C is the inline 1A fuse between +ve of leisure battery and shunt.
victron-shunt-install-a.jpgUpdate: Found that C inline fuse input had after all been connected to vehicle battery terminal instead of Leisure battery.
Changed over and now all working as expected.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic