question

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany asked

Forum Slow/time outs

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

For the last couple of days, forum performance has been very slow, sometimes timing out with a 504 gateway error.

Please check

bug report
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @kevgermany,

Appreciate the report, there was an update done. Hopefully whatever the issue was is now resolved, please let me know if it persists.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Same for me, still. For a moment it is more or less normal and the next moment it takes up to a minute to load the page.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Seemed better. Thanks.

But now I'm getting 502 and 504 gateway errors. But they come more quickly, if that makes sense

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Also, like Stefanie, mixed fast/slow response times.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Thanks. Seems OK now.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I just got a message from the ops team -

Our apologies for the performance issues that the community experienced. 
One of the instances within the stack you’re production site resides experienced high CPU issues. 

After replacing the instance, performance has returned to normal and you should not 
experience these issues any longer. 
We will continue to monitor the instance and ensure that it remains stable.

Please validate yourself and with any other users that were affected beforehand that the site is now working as expected.
8 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks Guy. Maybe have a word with your ops team and get them to set up real time monitoring and alarms on the whole Victron site. It's not difficult and there are open source solutions.
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I’ve got outage alarms set up, this is the first time I’ve needed to be proactive with variable speed

Its already known to be slow for Australians, but now it’s the rest of the world too.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager),

it looked good this morning. But is slow again now at 12.00GMT. Takes up to half a minute to load the page(s).

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Yes, I'm seeing g the same thing
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks both, I will pass it along and also ask for some more proactive monitoring of the situation on their side.

There was a major software update installed recently, so it may result in a roll back (more downtime).

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
FYI: at times also VRM was affected, resulting in an unformatted page without styles etc. A reload of the page solved it. But this is not the issue atm.
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
VRM is a different platform (although maybe at some deep level connected via AWS somewhere?).

They have a very pro-active operations team watching, so VRM-wide issues are usually known about and resolved very quickly.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Guy, community site again extremely slow for me the entire weekend and especially today. Takes up to a minute to load or is timing out and ending up with 504.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Also had the VRM problem yesterday,

Amazon have been having outage problems. Might be related.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic