question

kiwi35 avatar image
kiwi35 asked

Modbus TCP + ESS : how to get the ESS -> Active SOC Limit ?

Hello there,

I am currently working on a "somewhat" remote screen using arduino (ESP32) and modbus TCP, that allow me to show to the familly important things.

One of them is the Active SOC Limit, that can change depending of BatteryLife on my ESS system.

I cannot find in the Excel Sheet this information... Is it published ? Or... not yet?

If it cannot works on Modbus TCP is there any way to have it ? (or... is this can added into next GX release?).

Kind regards

ESSModbus TCP
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

Try : com.victronenergy.settings ... The ESS Minimum SOC (unless Grid fails) ... the 2901 ... its also writable !!!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kiwi35 avatar image
kiwi35 answered ·

Well this is not what I am looking for.

I get this correctly, but what I am looking for is to get the value in red in the screenshot... 2901 gives the value in blue... Which can be usefull for me (after) but not for my deported screen (and usage).capture-decran-2021-12-07-a-211948.png

2 |3000

matess4rs avatar image
matess4rs answered ·

Hello, It is not possible to read this value with Modbus directly, but at least you could use information from 2900 ESS BatteryLife state. This is also writable, so you could set up your own behavior.

2 |3000

kiwi35 avatar image
kiwi35 answered ·

Nice this can help me.

By the way what is the difference between 2=Self-consumption;3=Self-consumption;4=Self-consumption ?

2 |3000

elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

You can get both those values from the VRM api.

https://vrmapi.victronenergy.com/v2/installations/"+myInstallationID+"/diagnostics?count=1000

"description": "ESS battery life SOC limit",

"description": "ESS Minimum SOC (unless grid fails)",

Or

I manage to get them into grafana with

settings/Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit
settings/Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit

Or

Direct on the Venus Device

dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit GetValue

dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit GetValue

As for self consumption modbus. There are 12 ESS state fields

2 = Self Consumption

3 = Self consumption, SoC exceeds 85%

4 = Self consumption, SoC at 100%

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus

2 |3000

elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

As a follow up, This is now available via ModbusTCP Register 2903. GX firmware 2.80+

com.victronenergy.settings ESS active SoC (read only) 2903 uint16 10 /Settings/Cgwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit

2 |3000