question

sinbad avatar image
sinbad asked

Changing ESS mode via Modbus or MQTT?

Hi all

Is it possible to set the ESS mode (Optimised with BatteryLife / Keep Batteries Charged) via modbus or an mqtt message?

I'd like to be able to switch modes from my home automation system based on the status of our power grid - we're having rolling blackouts at the moment...

thanks!

ESSModbus TCP
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sinbad avatar image
sinbad answered ·

Done a bit more poking around, and I think this might actually do what I want:

com.victronenergy.hub4 ESS control loop setpoint 2700 int16 1 -32668 to 32668 /AcPowerSetpoint

If I set the setpoint to say 5KW, it will pull 5KW from the grid and direct that towards loads and any surplus towards the batteries, up to their charging current limit?

Then, set it back down to 50 when I don't need to force charge any more?

/edit This works! :D

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Danakil avatar image Danakil commented ·

Hi Simbad,

When you said "This works!", does it means that you got positive answers to your 2 questions ?

0 Likes 0 ·
sinbad avatar image sinbad Danakil commented ·

That is correct. Setting the grid target point on register 2700 will make the ESS system charge up the batteries with the difference between the grid target and the load. Dropping the target register down again returns to "normal" operation.

0 Likes 0 ·
Danakil avatar image
Danakil answered ·

Hi Sinbad,

It seems like you can through TCP/ Modbus with the writable register 2900. Please check this Excel doc and check the Settings section (line #269)

2 |3000

sinbad avatar image
sinbad answered ·

Thanks

I had spotted this, and saw:

0=External control or BL disabled;1=Restarting;2=Self-consumption;3=Self-consumption;4=Self-consumption;5=Discharge disabled;6=Force charge;7=Sustain;9=Keep batteries charged;10=BL Disabled;11=BL Disabled (Low SoC) Use value 0 (disable) and 1(enable) for writing only

That 2nd column confused me a bit - seems you can only turn BatteryLife on or off?

2 comments
2 |3000

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·
I tried following:
- change ESS mode to #2 by writing number 2 to address 2902
- put BatteryLife to charging mode by writing 6 to address 2900

and they seem to work, I can see it from console - ESS goes to charging mode, but only momentarily, pops right back to "Self-consumption".

Did you @Sinbad find any solution to this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala Juha Tuomala commented ·
Ha, now I figured it out and it works fine. You need to change ESS BatteryLife to mode 2 (address 2902) and then change the minimum SOC limit (2901) between required levels (95% is value 950).
0 Likes 0 ·