question

markus avatar image
markus asked

Smart Lithium Battery 150Ah vs. 160Ah; Why is the 160Ah so heavy in comparison?

Hi,

I am thinking about, how to replace my old AGM batteries and was reading data sheets.

I spotted this:

150Ah: 20Kg; 160Ah: 33Kg

Why is the 160Ah Lithium batt. so heavy in comparison to the 150Ah version?

Is this a typo?

Regards,

Markus

Lithium Battery
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·

It must be the M8 vs M10 terminals... :-)

2 Likes 2 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

Looks like no one wants to answer this, so it must just be as

Mark Guessed - It must be the M8 vs M10 terminals... :-) :):):):):):)

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Paul B commented ·

:o) Thanks Paul, but I don't think so. I hope someday, someone will answer this, as I really wan't to know that.

Maybe @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) knows... ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

Yes a reply from Victron would help

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Paul B commented ·

...but chances are better when the question remains unanswered. ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

Now being a bit more serious... I don't think the significant weight delta is a typo.

If you calculate the volume, the 160Ah is more than double the volume of the 150Ah.

11,564cm^3 vs 25,201cm^3.

So you would expect a significan't weight increase - possibly even more than stated.

The weight per Ah of the 160Ah is also very similar to the 200Ah.

So I think that between the 150Ah & the 160Ah something significant/notable must change with the internal construction/configuration.

But what is different I have no clue... maybe a different cell layout with more links...

Weight normally doesn't lie so I would 'expect' the 160Ah to be the better/more robust battery but in this case who knows.

1 Like 1 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks @Mark,

I also spotted the difference in size after asking that question, which makes the difference even more interesting for me. And for sure this is of great interest for every Victron Smart Lithium 150Ah/160Ah interested buyer as this is a major investment.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello, Yes, these numbers are correct, this is because the energy density in the LFP cel's is improved over time. The latest added models (100Ah and the 150Ah) are therefore lighter per kWh then others (as the 90Ah and 160Ah). (and yes, these last mentioned models will be discontinued in the future.)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Johannes!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic