question

bigbadbob76 avatar image
bigbadbob76 asked

USB ADC for tanks?

Hi Modifiers. :-)

Has anyone tried using a generic/chinese USB ADC to input tank data to Rasberry pi venus?

The Tank 140 interface uses USB so I guess it's possible. anyone know what ADC chip the Tank 140 uses?

I'm already using the spi pins for my tft display so can't go down the MCP3208 route that others have used.

My generator has an existing fuel gauge and sender so I'd like to import that data to Venus and eventually display it on the generator overview page.

tank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
trygvelu avatar image
trygvelu answered ·

You can have several SPI devices using different CS pins. You can even specify CS pin in the device tree config. On the ADC HAT I use for tank input I can choose between CE0 and CE1 (GPIO8/7), and there is an optional Soft SPI available on other pins. So SPI might still be possible.

If the "chinese USB ADC" adapter has a driver which makes it present itself as an iio adc device then it could just work. But chances are that you will have to write a driver to parse serial messages into something you can use, either as a iio adc driver, or directly to dbus.. If you want to go the USB route, why not simply get the Tank140 interface?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bigbadbob76 avatar image bigbadbob76 commented ·
Thanks for your reply, I'll re-visit this using spi1 rather than spi0, should be do-able.
0 Likes 0 ·