question

yekuana avatar image
yekuana asked

2 smart shunts connected

Hello, greetings to everyone from Panama. I have a Smart shunt connected to my circuit and it works perfect. I would like to connect another battery meter with display to the back of my canopy, the question is: can I connect the battery meter with display to the negative cable coming out of the Smart shunt towards the load? from the battery to the Smart shunt, the output to the load from the Smart shunt to the new battery meter and its output to the load. This is possible?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

Is the "battery meter with display" a shunt based battery monitor? If so just wire the shunts in series.

I have installed a Victron 500A SmartShunt and a Juntek 1300 battery monitor 500A labeled shunt unit in series with the 4 cell 300Ah LiFePO4 battery negative lead. The SOC readings always agree within 1 or 2% between regular synchronisations.

Both have to pass the motorhome truck engine starting current.

The SmartShunt has an old phone permanently displaying the data with a Juntek wireless display alongside and an additional display head up front while driving.

All working perfectly with no issues.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steffen-graap avatar image
steffen-graap answered ·

When connecting the two shunts in series, errors in the battery voltage measurement can occur. The shunt that is not directly connected to the battery loses the voltage drop of the other shunt in the voltage measurement. With the SmartShunts this is a maximum of 50mV, with the maximum current of the shunt (500A, 1000A or 2000A). Since these high currents rarely flow, the voltage drop to be expected is negligible. At 10% of the maximum permitted current, only 5mV.

2 |3000

mikesmultimedia avatar image
mikesmultimedia answered ·

I have two battery monitors (3rd party & SmartShunt 500A/50mV) which I would like to use together on the same battery bank (300Ah/Parallel Lithium).

Reading through this and other posts, it looks like I can connect the two shunts in series resulting in acceptable monitoring.

Is that an accurate assessment?

1 comment
2 |3000

Nev avatar image Nev commented ·
Yes you can. As per my previous post I have had 2 shunt based battery monitors in series with the negative battery wiring in our motorhome for several years of fulltime travel.

Faultless so far.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic