question

francois-green avatar image
francois-green asked

High Voc required. Can two MPPT charge controllers be paralleled to achieve this?

Hi All.

Basically I'm building an off-grid house.

I'm installing a solar power system for my house with 8 x 420W panels and a 5Kva Victron multiplus inverter. I also need to run a 1.5KW borehole from solar. I want to avoid installing extra panels to JUST run the borehole. Id rather install the extra panels to benefit the house system. Id also like to avoid draining the batteries when pumping water.

The Variable Frequency Drive available here that id use to drive the borehole works optimally at a DC input voltage of 300 to 350V.

Can I use two Blue solar 150/35 MPPT charge controllers to handle the Voc of 300V?

Is there a way to set up two arrays at 150Voc then somehow combine the voltages to get 300V?

I am quite new to solar and don't know exactly what the way forward would be.

Thanks

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarmppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Sorry, no.

Some basics

Panels can be connected in series or parallel.

Controllers can only be connected in parallel on the output side. Input side cannot be connected.

Over voltage on the input side will kill the controllers.

Panels increase in voltage as temperature drops. If you're close to the VOC limit in summer, you may kill the controller in winter.

At any point in the system you must not exceed the voltage or current handling capacity of the components.

Most of the victron kit is 12/24/48V on the DC side, depending on model. But there are solar controllers with much higher specs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.