question

Sophie & Christian avatar image
Sophie & Christian asked

Cannot change headless - Read only filesystem on Rasp4 for Venus OS large

Hello, after succesfully installed Venus OS large on a RaspberryPi3, i try now to do the same on my powerful Raspberry Pi4B ... and i do not succeed.

I started with a wic.zip non large version, eg. 2.73, fine ... then download Venus OS large v2.80~21-large on a USB-stick with my PC, installed it on Venus, everything is fine and reboot.

Now, after reboot, i want to move the /etc/venus headless file into a headless.no file to get all the app on my small 7'inch display with my Rasp4 (and no longer the prompt cmd).

So the problem, the OS returns me to the cmd:

mv headless headless.no

mv: can't rename 'headless': Read-only file system

... ok, it seems that the file system is Read-only but i dont know why, since it is the 1st time that i've got it with a v2.80xx-large install ...

Remind that it works fine with v2.73 version, no large one, on a Raspi4.

Additionnaly, i did not find this problem on a Rasp3B.

I'll appreciate a lot your help.

Regards, Christian

Venus OSRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

In the new 2.80 beta, the root file system is set RO (read only). This is in the release notes. If you run this script, it will revert the root file system to RW (read write). It will be like this till the next SW update, when it will revert RO and the script needs running again.

/opt/victronenergy/swupdate-scripts/remount-rw.sh

While it is a bit of a pain, it has been done for very valid reasons related to security and longevity of the flash memory.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Sophie & Christian avatar image Sophie & Christian commented ·
Thanks bathnm for your explanation.

Best

-1 Like -1 ·
Ronald Rink avatar image Ronald Rink Sophie & Christian commented ·

Instead of using remount-rw.sh, one could also just remount temporarily via

mount -o remount,rw /

This is actually less invasive than remount-rw.sh where the file system remains read-write after a reboot.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @yoda-sailing,

obviously a permission problem.

You need to connect to the remote console first and activate superuser with root password. After that ssh into the console and type in mv /etc/venus/headless /etc/venus/headless.off

bildschirmfoto-2021-11-27-um-120208.png

2 comments
2 |3000

Sophie & Christian avatar image Sophie & Christian commented ·
Hi Stefanie,

thanks a lot for your help ... i did as you suggested and now it works.

Best for you.

ps: i read with interest your posts on Taku Moe ... great honor

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Sophie & Christian commented ·
Glad it works for you too and thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image