question

alanrr avatar image
alanrr asked

Smart Battery Protect

I am installing a a solar panel on my camper connected via a Victron 100/20 MPPT to a standard lead-acid leisure battery. I would like to include a battery disconnect mechanism to cut off load from the battery when the voltage drops. Is the Smart battery Protect the best way to do this? If so, what is the recommended wiring? For example would it be an issue having the solar still connected to the MPPT if the battery has been disconnected? Would I need to have the MPPT bypassing the BatteryProtect and connecting directly to the battery to prevent this?

Thanks

Alan

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@alanrr

The battery protect is an easy way to do it.

Some mppts like the 100/20 have configurable load disconnects on them, this is also easy to set up in victron connect. It is one of the selling points on the product page.

The mppt would have to be directly connected to the battery as the battery protect is uni directional, in other words current can only go out not in and out.

The manuals and the datasheet linked at the bottoms of the product pages have simple wiring diagrams in them so if you read them you can get some ideas.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alanrr avatar image alanrr commented ·

Brilliant, thanks

0 Likes 0 ·