question

corvus avatar image
corvus asked

Power assist with 30 amp RV

The manual suggests that wiring to my power distribution should be upgraded because of the power boost feature. However, the manual only addresses 50 amp services. I have a 30 amp RV, so…from what I can tell I should use 6AWG wire from the multiplus to the the power distribution panel, and then upgrade the breaker there to handle any additional load from the power boost feature. Is there any documentation about using power boost in a 30 amp camper?

powerassist
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

blutow avatar image blutow commented ·

Crazy, I just logged on looking for an answer to the same question, exact same situation. I will limit shore power to 30a, but it's not clear in the manual how much power assist will add. I have a victron 12/3000 120v inverter. The following is what is stated in the manual:

"With its PowerAssist feature the Multi can add up to 3kVA (that is 3000 / 230 = 13A) to the output during periods of peak power requirement. Together with a maximum input current of 50A this means that the output can supply up to 50 + 13 = 63A. ".

This looks like it might be a "cut and paste" typo from the 230v version of the multi, because 3000/230 doesn't make sense to me for a 120v unit. If the 12/3000 120v unit can also do power assist up to 3000kVA, wouldn't the calculation be 3000/120v = 25a of assist? That sounds pretty extreme though if it could pass through 50a and assist another 25a for a total of 75a. If limiting to shore power of 30a, that would mean output on AC1 of 55a, which I think would be fine with 6awg, but too much for 8awg. I'm not sure what the difference is between 3000kVA vs. 3000watts, so maybe I'm not thinking right on this and my math is flawed.

0 Likes 0 ·
mrcdnvegas avatar image mrcdnvegas blutow commented ·
I know this is a old thread, but I have the exact same questions. I have a trailer with 30 amp service. Looking to install a 12/2000/80-50 and have seen two different versions of how to wire it because of the power assist. 10/3 both ways or 10/3 input and 6/3 output and change to 50 amp breaker. My WFCO panel specifically shows MAX 30A main circuit. Is there a way to set something on the multiplus to limit it to a max of 30A output? Or am I missing somthing
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mrcdnvegas commented ·

The main breaker in your distribution panel will trip if you pull more than 30 amps. This is no different than the situation without the inverter inserted in the shore power path. There is really no way to limit power assist other than reducing the AC input current limit.

With the 30 amp breaker in the distribution panel, 10/3 is fine between the Multi and the distribution panel.

The distribution panel is limited to 30 amps by the manufacturer so fitting a larger breaker risks meltdown/fire. The only way to safely use more power is to replace the distribution panel with a 50 amp model. It will have larger busbars. Then you'd need 6/3 from the Multi to the distribution panel.

Power management is part of the RV experience. There's never enough power to turn everything on at once. Some of this is done for you sometimes: turning on the microwave often turns off the electric fire place and/or the electric water heater element. Other things you just need to learn to do manually. And different power thresholds apply on shore power or while running off battery. Automatic power management in an RV (e.g. turn off the air conditioner compressor while making coffee) would be really slick but I don't know of any available system that does that.

0 Likes 0 ·
mrcdnvegas avatar image mrcdnvegas Kevin Windrem commented ·
HI thanks for the reply. That makes sense that the 30 amp in the OEM RV panel will still be the limit even if the multiplus could supply more. I also see the 6/3 theory now that I guess I could upgrade to a 50 amp panel to use 30 amp of shore and whatever the multiplus would add. I make out fine with the current 30 amp OEM and as you said do manual power management so I don't think it is worth any OEM panel change and just wire up to the multiplus with 10/3 input and output for the AC.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Corvus

Always use the recommended wiring size for the inverter or components being installed.

The power boost (I assume you are referring to power assist) uses battery/solar power to add to the incoming power for loads.

See this video for more information.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I don't see any wire size recommendations in the manual for the AC output, just the main DC inputs. The video link doesn't work for me.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ blutow commented ·
https://youtu.be/Odo6LNSjykQ

If you look on the Victron channel there is one with the title

Did you Know - How to add power to a limited shore power hook up

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Watts/kVA. Look on kVA as max watts that can be drawn, depending on the type of load, watts is usually less. It's a 'feature' of AC.

My reading of power assist is inverter capacity plus AC in. Afik same for 120V.

Size the cables for the full current. Plenty of calculators on line. If there are breakers in your unit, check what they're rated at,

1 comment
2 |3000

I guess that could be right, but 75a on a single wire/circuit at 120v is kind of nuts. The biggest 120v single pole breaker I've seen is 60a and that that would be massive wire. Since I'm limiting to 30a shore power, it's "only" 55a, but that's still a big 120v load. I don't think I'll ever draw that much, but I guess I'll go with 6 awg and a 50a or 60a breaker. 60a breaker on 6awg is pushing the limits, so might just need to limit to 50 and it should be rare I ever exceed that.
0 Likes 0 ·
tmartin000 avatar image
tmartin000 answered ·

Just because you CAN get 50a (or so) out of the inverter, it may NOT be safe to do so....in an AC distribution panel designed for 30a. That extra 20a may over heat your buss bar feeding that much additional current, where it wasn't designed for it. Most 30a RV's only have a single side of the usual DUAL 25a legs (of two) in a 50A service panel. So, having all that sexy current on ONE small distribution panel, (regardless if the wires are upgraded to 6ga vs 10ga), may be really really bad. Read the manual on the 30a distribution center in your RV...It will reveal what I've said.

As a side not, many people have a tenancy to go nuts in the winter by over loading their factory 30a feed anyhow. Adding a 1500w (space heater) and running your microwave and coffee pot (all electric) at a length of time, would probably be a kiss of death to your panel. The inverter may do fine, the 6ga wires fine, but the heat on your Distribution panel may end catastrophically.

2 |3000

corvus avatar image
corvus answered ·

@tmartin000 you answered what I was really getting at. For the record, I'm not really interested in getting 50 amps. Two devices often does not exceed 30 amps, but it does often exceed the 80% of a 30 amp breaker. I will look further into my particular power distribution.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic