question

freesurfer avatar image
freesurfer asked

CCGX VE.Direct galvanic isolation between devices?

I am adding in a CCGX to my system. I have a Multiplus II 48/3000, 500A SmartShunt and a SmartSolar MPPT 35/150. I want to connect the shunt and MPPT controller with VE.Direct cables, and the multiplus with a standard UTP cable to the ports on the back of the unit.

But before I add it in, there is one thing that concerns me. And that is if the devices provide galvanic isolation between each other, or if there is a risk that high currents can accidentally run through the smaller signal cables.

Example scenario: The minus cable between the MPPT controller and the battery bank breaks. Normally current would stop flowing. But assumong no galvanic isolation, this current could then instead take the path through the VE.Direct cable running to the CCGX, and then from the CCGX' tiny negative supply wire and back to the battery. In that case, those cables can not withstand high currents, nor are they fused in case such a problem happens.

Any ideas on this one?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
freesurfer avatar image
freesurfer answered ·

I found the answer just few minutes after posting this, after having looked around for a long time. Seems like you are correct. From the manual:

Isolation

Because the CCGX is connected to many different products, please ensure that proper care is taken with isolation to prevent ground loops. In 99% of installations this will not be a problem.

• The VE.Bus ports are isolated

• The VE.Direct ports are isolated

• The VE.Can ports are isolated

• The USB ports are not isolated. Connecting a Wi-Fi Dongle or GPS Dongle will not create a problem as it is not connected to another power supply. Even though there will be ground loop when you mount a separately-powered USB hub, during extensive testing we have not found that it caused any issues.

• The Ethernet port is isolated, except for the shield: use unshielded UTP cables for the Ethernet network

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The Victron VEdirect USB cables have built in galvanic isolation. I would expect that the VE direct ports on the CCGX also have this same isolation - as Victron are aware of this problem.

2 |3000