question

dirtyfrank avatar image
dirtyfrank asked

VE.Bus Firmware 489 and later / problems and suggestion/request

Hello,

after updating the firmware of my multis some problems appeared.
AFAIR I used to be on FW 486 before updating. I assume that the changes being mentioned below have been introduced in v489.

Since the update it is no longer possible to force the multi to passthru by turning the charger off (dbus --> DisableCharge=1) while ESS mode is NOT set to External Control. This results in many problems for my specific use case. In the changelog there hasn't been a word about this change of behaviour, so I'm not sure whether this is intended or not.

As a solution I wanted to revert to the previous FW version in order to get my system working again. However

a) there are only some "main" versions in the download area
b) there is only the most recent version (v490) for my Multi (2668). For my second multi (2616) there was v459 which is actually quite old.

For (a):

I think you don't want to confuse users with an overwhelming mass of FW versions. IMHO there should be at least some kind of archive where ALL FW versions could be found and downloaded, though.

For (b):

I don't know why. I wasn't able to find any FW but the latest one. This is really very annoying.

Anyway - I'd really appreciate if anyone (including the VE staff) could kindly provide 2668488.vff and 2616488.vff files. In case the above mentioned changes have been introduced in v487, I'm going to need this version, too (both 2668487.vff and 2616487.vff)

Thanks in advance for your help.

So long,
Frank

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

There wasn't a 4.88 that I recall, it was 4.87.

I have asked elsewhere for the archive to be updated but this has not been noticed or ignored.

4.59 is quite old but it does work and resolves the issue while you try get the code you need.

Your local distributor should have copies as a plan B.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) can you not please help with updating the firmware dropbox with earlier versions, particularly the previous one 4.87.

This is a real issue.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dirtyfrank avatar image dirtyfrank commented ·

Hi nickdb and thanks for your reply.

I'm going to try your plan b.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi both @nickdb & @DirtyFrank,

I have seen this, and will see what can be done.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Where's the thumbs up emoji when you need one? ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @DirtyFrank Guy alerted me to your issue.

Yes the change is intended. Sorry it is missing in the change log.

From 489 onward you should switch the system to bypass by setting both:

dbus -> DisableCharge and dbus -> DisableFeedIn to 1.

I have attached a zip file with the 487 files as requested.

We might have a full archive someday; I understand the benefit.

487.zip

Ps since this is about quite specific control, I’ve moved your question to the Modifications section.

487.zip (132.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

dirtyfrank avatar image dirtyfrank commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Thanks for the support and for the files.
As far as I can tell, the input current limit is neglected by setting both

dbus -> DisableCharge=1
dbus -> DisableFeedIn=1

Before the update that was different and there was some kind of "PowerAssist" done by ESS. For my use case it is crucial that both are working.
That's why I'm going to revert to v487.

0 Likes 0 ·