question

georg-cz avatar image
georg-cz asked

VE.Smart NEtwork vs. VE.direct

Hello, I would like to ask the community, how the smart boxes cooperate together, please. I have one complete solar system connected together with VE.Direct network to a Cerbo. Now I will build another one thinking if does make sense to buy Smart version of shunt and solar charger if these boxes will be again connected together via VE.direct, or I could buy Bluesolar and BMV701 without VE.Smart network features?

I mean, does it have any benefits if I spend more for Smart devices even if they will be connected together with VE.Direct? Are transferred data different at the end? I tried to find the answer here, but I haven't find the right one.

Thank you for clarification,

Jiri

VE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

If you plan on putting a GX device (cerbo, venus gx, color control) then you don't need and can't use ve.smart networking as you should be using DVCC. The only benifit I can see for getting the smart when you have a gx device is you can still connect with bluetooth with the mobile app. I do this in my camper van at times.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aphexer avatar image
aphexer answered ·

I believe one reason could be synchronizing multiple Bluesolar MPPT charge controllers. Without the ve.smart networking feature (smartsolar only) one mppt charger may switch to absorption state while the other one is still in bulk etc leading to less efficient charging.

2 comments
2 |3000

ludo avatar image ludo commented ·
I think this will be managed by dvcc, and it doesn't always work with ve.smart
0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm ludo commented ·
Depends on the battery you have. If DVCC is just sending Voltage and Current sense from a BMV, then it is doing nothing more than a VE.Smart Network from the same battery monitor. It all comes down to system design and needs.
0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Hi @georg_cz it is worth considering both the Bluetooth connectivity and the VE.Smart networking that are pre-packaged with the smart devices. At this point in time VE.Smart networking cannot be used in tandem with VEDirect and the Venos cannot talk to V.Smart. Additionally new smarts in VenusOS and Victron Connect give you the same connectivity with the end device that that were previously only achieved using a Bluetooth (or laptop) connection. That said having the Bluetooth can be beneficial for troubleshooting should a device fail. So I don’t think Bluetooth, and by inference VE.Smart networking is a must, but it does come in handy when things go awry. Perhaps an in between bet would be to use the ‘standard’ devices and purchase a Bluetooth dongle for those rare occasions. For what it’s worth all my devices are the Bluetooth enabled smart models. I hope this helps.

2 |3000

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

It really depends on what you re trying to achieve. You an do a lot with VE.Direct, using the Cerbo to mediate information between the devices as needed. This means that the VE.Smart network is not needed, but the Smart devices also allow you to monitor, configure and firmeware update the device over bluetooth using Victron Connect. This can also all be done remotely through Victron Connect when connected to the Cerbo.

I use the Bluetooth when on board my yacht (my deployment) to do some configuration and monitoring. I use the Cerbo when on board to monitor teh overall system. I use Victron Connect and VRM to do remote monitoring and configuration. At times Victron Connect is just easier.

Comes down to what do you ant to do or need the system to do.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual