question

Fraser Stewart avatar image
Fraser Stewart asked

Can I use the GX Tank 140 with a combinoord resistive fuel sender?

Hoping I can get some advise or help. Warning, noob so please go easy.

I have managed to set up a RaspberryPi running Venus Os. I have all connected to mppt, inverter and battery monitor.

I recently purchased a GX tank 140. I have already got resistive based fuel senders from company Combi Noord. They have a range from 0-190 ohms. They have two wires.

So i have connected one wire to the 24v and one to the In as understood from the wiring diagram.

In Venus I have picked Current and not Voltage.

After doing this i only see values from 4-20ma. I dont see an option for Ohms.

So manually moving the float part of the sensor gives me readings.

HOWEVER (this is what i need your help with)

The reading range is very narrow.

The sender is 45cm long. At the bottom i see 17mA

And at the top. 20mA. I had expected 4mA at bottom of the sender shaft.

My father who has much more knowledge about electronics says that i would need to add a resistor of 250 ohms to get more range, i dont doubt his opinion. i do doubt though that Victron would make a plug and play device, the likes of the Gx tank 140, and then expect users to stick resistors in the terminals and then not write that in the supplied literature.

? Is this range, ie 17mA to 20mA, what i should expect ?

If so would not make it very inaccurate?

Is an ohms based sender intended to be used with the GX tank 140?

Is there a way to set Ohms values with the GX tank 140?

I hope someone out there knows more about this new product and can shed some light.

Thanks

tank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
devodave avatar image
devodave answered ·

You have hooked up your sensors incorrectly. Resistive senders are connected between ground and the input line.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

And to add: the GX Tank 140 is not made to work with resistive senders.

there are three types of fluid level senders:

1) those that give a voltage signal, 0-10V

2) those that give a current signal, 4-20mA

3) those that give a resistive signal, 0-180 Ohm, or 240-33 Ohm or similar.

GX Tank 140 only works with 1 and 2.

Inputs on Cerbo GX only work with 3.

ps. CombiNoord, our long time dealer in the north of the Netherlands has excellent technical knowledge. They’ll be able to help with selecting the proper combination of sender and input.

2 |3000